Basketball The continuing saga of Kobe VS Mom and Dad

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
LOOK AT ALL THE HYPE THIS NEWS STORY HAS GARNERED... AND NOW, THINK OF ALL THE FOLLOWERS THAT WILL BE WATCHING AND BIDDING ON THIS AUCTION... JUST BECAUSE THE FAMILY ARGUED OVER WHO HAD THE RIGHT TO SELL KOBE'S BELONGINGS AND THE MEDIA SPREAD THE WORD AROUND THE WORLD...

ESPN Reports:

The Kobe Bryant memorabilia saga has ended with an apology from the Los Angeles Lakers guard's parents and a settlement that allows less than 10 percent of the items originally intended for sale to be auctioned.

Bryant and a company that was auctioning off the memorabilia reached a deal one week before the two sides were due to go to trial in New Jersey. The agreement allows the sale of six items, which Goldin Auctions president Ken Goldin told ESPN.com on Monday morning he is confident can still sell for more than $500,000 combined.

Bryant's parents, who had contracted with Goldin to sell the items, apologized in a written statement.

"We regret our actions and statements related to the Kobe Bryant auction memorabilia," said Joe and Pamela Bryant in the statement, provided by a publicist. "We apologize for any misunderstanding and unintended pain we have caused our son and appreciate the financial support he has provided over the years. We also apologize to Goldin Auctions for their inadvertent involvement in this matter and thank them for their assistance."

While Goldin said he wasn't free to divulge the terms of the settlement, what is clear is that approximately 90 percent of what previously was being offered has been pulled off the table, though they are still some of the most highly coveted items.

Included in the auction will be two of Bryant's high school uniforms and two rings celebrating the 2000 Lakers championship team that were gifted at the time to Bryant's parents. The ring gifted to his father Joe, Goldin notes, comes in the same size as the ring presented to Kobe (11½).

For some items, including Bryant's 2000 NBA All-Star ring, half the winning bid will be donated to charity, Goldin said. When reached, Kobe Bryant said he would have no comment on the resolution.

Bidding will start June 17 and close July 19. The auction also includes what Goldin says is the only existing glove from Jackie Robinson's 1949 MVP-winning season.

How interesting is that! I hadn't heard of this altho Skip is on my tv every morning when I awaken. Part of me wonders why Kobe cares, the other part is saying "Really?" He gifted that super Bowl ring to his dad---why does tacky come to mind? Maybe these folks were in a real financial bind and thought this was there only way out. But your son's Super bowl ring? Something we can only dream of. No one knows what goes on in families so who am I to judge?

I take it Kobe was displeased his gifts to his parents were being auctioned by them. He could always buy them back at the auction though, as he's got the $$$.

It is surprising that his parents were going to auction off so many things. It makes me wonder if they have a lot more stuff and were just trying to make a quick easy buck. If you have tons of Kobe stuff, like they do, and they have continuing future access to acquire more, like they probably did, maybe they didn't think much of it. Unfortunately, Kobe was not pleased.

If I was Kobe's dad, there'd be no way I'd sell ANYthing, unless the items were gifts, I was strapped for $$$, and Kobe ignored my plight.

I don't think Kobe ignored their needs, and I do think some of that stuff were gifts, but some of the other stuff sounds like they weren't.

This is an interesting story and a pretty sad one too. I don't see why they'd even consider selling his stuff besides being need for money. If Kobe isn't taking care of his parents then I kind of feel for them then. Either it's his stuff and they should;ve cleared it with Kobe.

I think Kobe's got a lot of money to spare, how come his parents are auctioning his memorabilia? If they are in a financial crisis, why don't they just ask some help from their son? Are they not in good terms?

LOOK AT ALL THE HYPE THIS NEWS STORY HAS GARNERED... AND NOW, THINK OF ALL THE FOLLOWERS THAT WILL BE WATCHING AND BIDDING ON THIS AUCTION... JUST BECAUSE THE FAMILY ARGUED OVER WHO HAD THE RIGHT TO SELL KOBE'S BELONGINGS AND THE MEDIA SPREAD THE WORD AROUND THE WORLD...

ESPN Reports:

Oh my! What is the big deal, Mr. Bryant? Were you saving those items for when you retire--so you can buy your wife another ring? Jeez, what does it matter? Didn't get your cut?Absolute nonsense and a slow news day! Spare us your mama drama!

This is an interesting story and a pretty sad one too. I don't see why they'd even consider selling his stuff besides being need for money. If Kobe isn't taking care of his parents then I kind of feel for them then. Either it's his stuff and they should;ve cleared it with Kobe.

Why doesn't he remove "his stuff" from their house? Problem solved; they are not a storage unit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why doesn't he remove "his stuff" from their house? Problem solved; they are not a storage unit!

Well said. I feel like if you have so much potentially valuable stuff that you'd claim it and store it in your own home. This shouldn't have gotten to this level period.

(sorry if this upsets our female members, but...)

It's a MOM thing. My ex-wife still "stores" items for our daughter, who is 30, is living with her future husband, and has two children.

Seriously... if the "kid" isn't living at home... either tell them to come get their crap or throw it all away.

Shame on Kobe for doing this!

Not sure if it is a mom thing but you could be right and I agree with you! Get your crap out, if you want it. If it has been lying in my house for years, it is up for grabs; I am not a storage warehouse!
Why is Kobe being so petty? Does he expect to be down on his luck, needing a few jerseys in the future? Maybe cash in a couple of those diamond rings!

I find this story very interesting. As a child I can completely understand why Kobe was so mad and upset with his parents about selling off his stuff. On the other hand, as a parent I have to look at the other side of things as well. Who really knows why they wanted to sell off his gifts. Maybe they want to downsize, maybe they felt the gifts were not genuine, maybe they thought somebody else would appreciate them more, and maybe they were trying to make a quick buck or two. In the end, it was given to them, and in the end if they cannot sell these items guess who will end up with them after they have passed away. Guess if Kobe gets hard up in the future he will be able to make a quick buck or two off of things he had given to others. There are always two sides to every story.

It sounds like Kobe might not be sharing the wealth with his parents. He seems like a good guy. Maybe his parents pretended to be in an argument about the items in order to generate publicity and increase the sale price? Money should not be an issue for any of them. It is really weird that this is in the news.

Im so sick of hearing about Kobe Bryant.
He is such an immature baby.
If its not one thing its another. I want to watch basketball not hear about his personal life.

Back