Hockey Stars' Avery suspended for remarks

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Of all the cajoling, snide remarks and other stunts Sean Avery pulled on the way to becoming the biggest pest in hockey, never had he gone so far that the NHL suspended him -- until Tuesday.

Avery was punished indefinitely by commissioner Gary Bettman for using a crude term about his former girlfriends now dating other hockey players. Bettman acted within hours, in time to keep Avery out of the Dallas Stars' game against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday night.

Avery's inflammatory line came following a morning skate in Calgary, Alberta. Reporters were waiting to speak with Avery about disparaging remarks he'd made last month about Flames star Jarome Iginla when Avery walked over to the group and asked if there was a camera present. When told there was, he said, "I'm just going to say one thing."

"I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada," he said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight."

He then walked out of the locker room.

Avery's ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert of the television show "24" and the movie "Old School," is dating Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf; she had also been romantically linked to Mike Komisarek of the Montreal Canadiens. Avery also dated Rachel Hunter, the former "Sports Illustrated" swimsuit cover model and actress who is now the girlfriend of Los Angeles Kings center Jarret Stoll.

Bettman said Avery made "inappropriate public comments, not pertaining to the game." The two will meet before the length of the suspension is determined. That get-together is likely to happen soon.

"I completely support the league's decision to suspend Sean Avery," Stars owner Tom Hicks said in a statement. "Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have. This organization will not tolerate such behavior, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."

Avery is the kind of player who delights in doing or saying something to get under the skin of opponents and their fans. He's led the league in penalty minutes twice and was doing so again going into Tuesday. He's not only often called the most hated player in the NHL, but he also loves hearing it.

"I like to push it to the edge, no doubt about it," Avery said this summer, after signing with the Stars. "That's how I play. That's how I live. That's what I'm all about."

His most infamous tactic came during last season's playoffs, while with the New York Rangers. Avery stood in front of New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur and blocked his view by waving his hand and stick in the goalie's face. The next day, the league put in the so-called "Avery Rule" to prohibit such shenanigans but didn't punish Avery.

Avery has been fined by the league before, and he was once suspended by the Kings. Other players have been suspended for retaliating against Avery, including the Chicago Blackhawks' Ben Eager getting a three-game suspension for swinging his stick at Avery. However, this is the first time in his seven-year career that the NHL has taken him off the ice.

Despite his tough-guy image in his job, the 28-year-old Avery has cultivated another image in his private life: fashionista. He's pursued his interest in the fashion world by interning with "Vogue" magazine. He's also broken into pop culture through appearances on MTV and in tabloid gossip columns; he also grabbed a spot on "People" magazine's "Sexiest Scars" list for a gash on his lip.

Dallas signed Avery to a $15.5 million, four-year deal in July, hoping his grittiness would help last season's Western Conference finalists. Instead, the injury-riddled Stars went into Tuesday night's game with only 20 points, fewest in the Western Conference and near the bottom of the NHL.

Avery and Iginla were to meet on the ice for the first time since Avery told ESPN "the NHL does a terrible job of marketing" by not promoting its "villains" and that "nobody cares about Jarome Iginla and guys like that, they're just not exciting enough."

The Stars and Flames have three more games this season. Next is Feb. 3 in Dallas; the Stars return to Calgary on March 18.

A few weeks after the ESPN interview aired, Avery and the Stars were in the New York area for three games in four days. Avery hardly spoke to reporters after practices and games, although after playing the Rangers he went on their postgame television show and disparaged former teammates who had criticized him.

Going into Tuesday night's game, Avery had 77 penalty minutes in 23 games. He also had three goals and seven assists.

Teammates were in the locker room when Avery spoke Tuesday but didn't necessarily hear his interview. Told what he said, most were not surprised.

"We expect that out of him like we have all year," said goaltender Marty Turco, who was critical of Avery's agitation of Brodeur during the playoffs when it happened. "You know, the show continues."

Avery broke into the NHL with the Detroit Red Wings in 2001-02. He lived with teammate Brett Hull, who is now the Stars' co-general manager and was a driving force behind Dallas signing him.

Avery spent two seasons with the Red Wings and then played 3½ seasons with the Kings. His arrival in New York in 2007 helped spark a playoff run. Although he then matched his career best in goals with 15 in 2007-08, the Rangers didn't try bringing him back. His tenure ended with a lacerated spleen against the Pittsburgh Penguins, which required a stay in intensive care.

The Stars are paying Avery $3.5 million this season. He'll make $4 million each of the next three years. His deal also includes a limited no-trade clause.

Back