Football Sources: Vikes back off Favre for now

iLikePie

Bench Warmer
The Minnesota Vikings have at least temporarily suspended their pursuit of Brett Favre after the retired quarterback failed to report to organized team activities that began Tuesday as head coach Brad Childress had mandated, team and league sources said.

NFC North

ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The Vikings conveyed their decision in a phone call from vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski to Bus Cook, the agent who represents Favre.

An eventual agreement returning Favre to the NFL for a 19th season, this time in Vikings purple, remains a possibility. He was encouraged to continue rehabilitation; sources said he had arthroscopic surgery two weeks ago to repair a partially torn biceps tendon.

According to sources, no time frame has been discussed for the Vikings and Favre to reconsider their positions.

"If in fact he had that surgery," Childress said Wednesday on Minneapolis-St. Paul radio station KFAN, "I'm anxious to see exactly what he has left in that cannon because he has a great arm."

NFL Rumor Central

ESPN Insider has the updated buzz from the National Football League rumor mill.
Story Insider

ESPN reported Monday that Childress had established a deadline of this week for Favre to make a decision on whether to be the Vikings' quarterback this season. Favre declined to make a commitment because he remains uncertain that the surgery has been completely successful.

During the interview on KFAN, Childress called the reporting of the deadline "very questionable." ESPN has left numerous messages for Childress, who did not respond for comment. Childress has not publicly acknowledged Minnesota's courtship of Favre.

The Vikings' depth chart at quarterback includes Tarvaris Jackson and veteran Sage Rosenfels.

Asked if the Favre story has affected them, Childress told KFAN: "They are competitors. Do they like any of the conversation? Absolutely not. But, they know this -- I'm charged with adding and subtracting players to make this team better. If this is going to make us better down the road, I'm going to take care of the Minnesota Vikings."

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.

Back