Sometimes I Don't Understand Fans

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
I'm a proud Oregon Ducks fan. I grew up in Eugene, graduated from the University of Oregon (Class of 2007) and I'm a season ticket holder for football. I love the program. But, I don't understand some of my fellow fans.

I attended the Oregon game last weekend. Oregon lost to Colorado in a close thrilling game. While it is true that for the last several seasons, Colorado has been the doormat of the Pac-12...that is no longer the case. They are a 3-1 team who's only loss was to Michigan...over whom they had a 21 point lead at one point. Oregon is 2-2 and both loses came in very close games. I will admit that poor coaching decisions cost us the Nebraska game...but we were in both games until the very end.

I couldn't count the number of times at the game I heard that we should fire coach Helfrich. The same coach who led us to the CFP Title game 2 seasons ago.

It shocks me that we have gotten so accustom to winning so fast that the popular opinion is to completely restart to program after a 2-2 start. One thing people forget is Oregon is a legacy coaching program. We haven't restarted in decades. We have been promoting from within since the Rich Brooks era (Brooks became the coach in 1977). All head coaches since, have been promoted from within. There are assistants and position coaches that have been with the program since the 1980s. Part of what makes Oregon special...is the fact that the coaching staff is so ingrained in the culture. Yes, new assistants have come and gone over the years...but there is a core there that always has been. Firing Mark Helfrich would mean a new outside head coach with an entire new staff. An entire new way of doing things...I'm not so sure that would be an improvement. Oregon has built an impressive program over the last few decades and I'd hate to see us throw that all away.

Outside of Alabama and Urban Meyer's teams...I don't see a program in the NCAA who has been elite every year. We aren't getting Saban or Meyer to come to Oregon. Lets not give up on a good thing so fast. Yes, it's a down year but we will be back.

hold on.. they lost to who? Michigan.. say it again!... Michigan.. say it again! Michigan...

Oh wait.. that wasn't Michigan State was it? dog gone it!

Look what happened to Les Miles at LSU. if the Ducks could get him up there that might not be a bad thing... although rumor has it that Michigan is talking to him as a Offensive/Defensive Coach... look out Big Ten if that happens.

I think Les was in a no win situation. The LSU fans were expecting him to be the guy he replaced...Nick Saban. Miles is an excellent coach...but he's not Nick Saban.

The problem is, with the unique system Oregon runs...bringing in a new coach will be a total rebuild which will take how many years? Helfrich is in his 4th year. In his first 3 seasons he has taken Oregon to the Alamo Bowl twice (which is the bowl the #2 team in the conference) and he led us to the CFP Title game in 2014. So, he's had success. Records have been 11-2, 13-2 and 9-4.

Honestly...as crazy as it sounds. At this point the only person I would consider is the head coach of the 49ers. Sooner or later he will get fired as his system doesn't work in the NFL. He's just crazy enough to come back.

Back