so much for eTopps...

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
as of January 1, 2012, you will no longer be able to use points to take delivery of cards...

i dont expect points to be worth anything after the 1st of the year...so much for 'chasing' points...the past month or so points have come down to about $0.50 on the tradepost...the catalog has been crap for the most part the past couple of years...and that had been the reason to get points before...

i fully expect many cards to be taken inhand now and be on eBay the next couple of months, as there is no incentive to leave the cards in port now...

i have 214 points as of this afternoon...

luckily i dont really 'chase' points...i buy at IPO for the most part and that is about it...but i do acquire points here and there, but i dont jump to buy a guy just because hes pointing up...

sad thing is i think this years Aaron Rodgers will drop to about $10 in a matter of 3 weeks...tempted to sell mine, but i think eTopps might just be using this as a ploy to get rid of a TON of stock and maybe in the future the points will become good again...

ill try to explain how this hurts the value of cards...

currently here is a breakdown of football...

2011 - eligible for 'season bonus' points (MVP, TDs, Passing Yards...)
- eligible for 'performance bonus' points (up to 3 points per card for hitting specified season stat (3500yards and 25 tds or something type deal)
- eligible for 'weekend jackpot' points (weird stat done almost weekly, last week paid out to any card of a player currently on a San Diego Chargers roster got 6 points because Antwan Barnes had 4 sacks)
- eligible for use in the 'fantasy' game

2010 - eligible for 'weekend jackpot' points (weird stat done almost weekly, last week paid out to any card of a player currently on a San Diego Chargers roster got 6 points because Antwan Barnes had 4 sacks)
- eligible for use in the 'fantasy' game

2009 - eligible for use in the 'fantasy' game

2008 - no bonus oppurtunities

so as you can see, there is a focus on 'current' cards...

points were able to be used in a weekly catalog, they use to give out fewer points, so items in the catalog were like boxes (i know i got several boxes of 2005 Topps DPP, 2005 Topps Chrome, and some Basketball stuff), hats, tshirt, autographed baseballs, autographed photos...

a few years back they started allowing points to be traded on the trading post, this practice is still in use, but now that the catalog sucks and you wont be able to use points for delivery, there isnt much of a use to get them...

im starting to now look at eTopps as a 'regular' set, like Triple Threads base cards...all cards are serial numbered (since 2006), but they arent autographed, they arent game used, there arent really any 'chase' cards, no 1/1s...pretty boring...and who is going to pay $5 for a 'base' card?

trying to trade them off, but that isnt working well...my hope is that they get a ton of people to take delivery of cards and eat up a bunch of points that way, maybe they improve the catalog, but if i can acquire some decent stuff take it inhand and try eBaying it...but im not sure if Harper or Strasburg are even available for delivery

Back