Hockey Season Ticket update....

ewilkens

Bench Warmer
Some of you might remember me posting my "mailday" before the season started where I got my season ticket package for the blackhawks. Well last night was the 3rd of nine games, so the "first period" is done, and I felt like updating my experience so far this season. I was gonna post after every game, but didn't want to make 9 different posts, so my alternative will be 3 updates.

Game 1
Oct.15 vs. Phoenix
Hawks win 4-1...

Me and my buddy knew we got the last 2 tickets available in this package. But we didn't know exactly where the seats were... when we got to them it was clear that we were the last 2... very last row of the upper level, in the center seats (tucked in a corner where the hawks only shoot to once).

But the game was great, and it ended up being Savard's last game as coach, so that was kinda cool. We also learned that being in the last row isn't horrible b/c since you can't move when the puck is play the only route the beer man takes is behind the last row though the standing room only area. So we had easy access to beer, which was nice.

Game 2
Oct. 25 vs. Detroit
6-5 loss in Shootout

This was the reason we got this 9 game plan and not one of the 2 others (with better seats). An absolutely electric atmosphere that rivaled any non-playoff game I've ever been to. The Hawks also set an attendance record with 22,960.
Hawks had a 4-2 lead after 2 and blew it quickly in the 3rd. But even after trailing they bounced back to tie it 5 and the place was absolutely insane. I left with no voice and sore hands from clapping and cheering. This is only the 3rd hockey game I'd been to (to that point), so seeing a shootout was very cool, even if the outcome wasn't perfect.

Game 3:
Nov. 9 vs. Calgary
Hawks win 6-1

I don't follow the NHL as a whole closely yet, as i'm way too into football and basketball to cover another entire league. But I think Calgary must be bad. 13 minutes into the game they were on power plays for 8 minutes and hadn't even posed a real threat. Hawks scored twice in the period and never looked back.

Besides the 6 goals (I've now seen 19 blackhawks goals in 4 games), what stood out was the fighting and hitting. The blackhawks need an enforcer to go around knock some people down. Calgary definitely out hit the Hawks and I'd say won 2 of the 3 fights without a contest (the last being a draw that i'll give the advantage to the Hawks since their player got ejected)
But it was great fun, and Toews finally scored his first goal of the season.

Thanks for reading the long post.
Feel free to comment on the Blackhawks or any game you've been to this season.

Back