Hockey Seabrook to play; Toews out

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Jonathan Toews remained off the ice on Wednesday and most likely will miss the next two games, but Brent Seabrook practiced and says he's ready to return after missing the past two contests.

"It was good," Seabrook said after practice. "I enjoyed being back out there with the fellas and look forward to hopefully playing (Thursday)."

Unless there is a setback, coach Joel Quenneville confirmed Seabrook would play against Nashville. Speaking for the first time since leaving the ice last Wednesday, the Blackhawks star defenseman explained what happened.

"I got hit in the neck and it just sort of rattled my brain a little bit," Seabrook said. "I had some headaches. Well, not so much headaches but pressure on my head when I'd get up or move or jump or when I'd run. We just had to wait for that to subside and once that did, then I could work, out and that's what I did yesterday with no symptoms. Today I could take the psych test and then practice."

There is still no timetable for Toews' return. Toews took a hit from Vancouver's Willie Mitchell a week ago. Like Seabrook, it's a matter of the symptoms subsiding and until that happens, Toews won't see the ice.

"Johnny didn't skate today and hasn't skated yet so he's not going on the trip," Quenneville said.

Quenneville indicated that there is a chance they would use seven defensemen in Nashville Thursday instead of recalling a forward from Rockford. Jacob Dowell has played the past two games in place of Toews, but Jordan Hendry will most likely move up to play on the fourth line.

Meanwhile, Marian Hossa skated with his new team for the first time. Hossa, recovering from shoulder surgery, ran some drills on the fourth line with Colin Fraser and Tomas Kopecky. He didn't take full slap shots or deal with any contact, but it's a start.

"This kind of puts a smile on my face and makes me feel better," Hossa said about practicing. "I'm looking forward to the next skate."

Though Hossa was happy to be on the ice, his shoulder is not at full strength. He believes he is still three or four weeks away from playing in a game and wont do so until he is 100 percent.

"It's getting there but lifting the weights, I can tell the arm is not like the other arm, so I try to adjust and am slowly progressing and lifting heavier," Hossa said.

Even in limited action, Hossa's new teammates were impressed with his practice debut as well as thrilled to see Seabrook back at it.

"Hossa actually looked really good today," Patrick Kane said. "It's going to be amazing what he looks like when he's back to 100 percent but having Seabs back, that helps a lot for our defense. He's probably one of the most underrated players on the team if not in the NHL, so it's good to see [injured] players getting back on the ice. Now we just have to get the big captain back."

Back