Screaming Reels. Any fisherman out there?

GiantFan

Bench Warmer
Before sitting in the stands for the Giants debacle, we went fishing in the Long Island Sound. Usually we either follow the birds and fish the top but there is not a lot of that this time of year. Instead we chunked for Blues and Striped Bass. What an awesome morning of fishing.

There were three of us and four rods set up with chunks of Bunker on the line sitting on the bottom. All of a sudden you just hear the reel SCREAM, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING!!! FISH ON! Then it's time to set the hook and fight. So much fun. Combined we caught about 15 Blue fish and I caught my first Striped Bass from the sound. It was just short of the size limit so we had to throw it back. Our time was limited because we had to go to the Giants game but we had some screaming reels for the time we were out there. Just straight up fun!!!

I'm hungover and angry about the Giants right now but the fishing and pulling a great move to beat 45 minutes of traffic to get over the GW after the game made me feel a little better.

Blitzburgh

Bench Warmer
Sounds like a great time! When I lived in Boston, just for fun, my friends and I would go carp fishing in the Charles River with our 4' super ultralite tackle. Nothing like laying into a 37" carp on ultrlite tackle and 75 yards of line LOL!

oregonweim

Bench Warmer
....you don't actually eat the fish you catch in Long island sound do you? You know the street water drains from my neighborhood to the sound :D

scrappy

Bench Warmer
first and last time i heard that, i was on a zodiac fishing out of Deep Creek (ocean water) and i had a halibut attached to it. i was 8 yrs old and at that time, i swore off fishing anything that is bigger or can weigh more than me. landed a 92lb halibut, my first and last. if my dad wouldn't have grabbed on to my pants, i would have gone over cause i was dumb and was not gonna lose to a halibut. if you have ever fished for them, they are known for diving towards the bottom and than flattening out so you have to really pull their weight up. now i just play in the water instead of fish. king salmon will pull you in and fight you for 30 minutes, silvers are fiesty and will fight you for 2 hrs, and pinks just don't care.

i live by the sacred rule: Never fish for anything bigger than you.

metallikat87

Bench Warmer
never done any ocean fishing or for anything huge but i love to fish
mainly pond-hopping in oklahoma, which im gonna be doing for th next week while im gone, hooray

scrappy

Bench Warmer
I would only fish for the drinking that goes along with it.

than you should definately plan on coming to AK during the summer. most of the time, there is more drinking involved than fishing, but it makes you sober when your rod tries to take off on you

GiantFan

Bench Warmer
....you don't actually eat the fish you catch in Long island sound do you? You know the street water drains from my neighborhood to the sound :D

Yes, I have eaten fish from there and they are quite good. Yes, I did know that lots of water drains into the Sound. I used to live 1/2 mile away from it and all the drains had warnings about not dumping bad things in there.