Scientist Trading Cards

MassScience

Bench Warmer
Hi, my name is Michael Bergen and I am the executive director of the Massachusetts Science Center. I have developed a fun new product with the goal of getting kids to love science. Introducing our Scientist trading cards. These colorful and informational trading cards will help kids really learn about scientists from all decades. We are just starting out, and have created a Kickstarter page to help us raise money for more production. We would love to be able to get this product into every school all over the country. Please visit our Kickstarter page, and if you feel as if this is a good idea we would greatly appreciate a donation. Thank you very much for your time and support!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/679694397/scientist-trading-cards

I will send this link to my sons schools Science teacher through email, maybe they can pass it along to the School District and other Science teachers in Michigan. Good luck with the Project.

i like the idea, but the price seems a bit high...

I know that a young scientist book could probably be purchased for under $30 at any retailer, and cheaper 'used' versions would be available online...also, standard board games are what $20 or less on average?

something like this would be something my nieces would probably like, they are 10, almost 9, and 6...I do little 'home science' stuff with them and they love it, we did mentos and carbonated beverages over the summer, then around Halloween we did gummy bear liquid soakings...for the gummy bears I made up a little worksheet for them so it was more like 'school work'...and yes, my nieces are nerdy...they play 'school' over the summer and such...

I think with some sort of online portion though either a cd rom style or a QR code thing that allows for 'extra' content online, such as worksheets, where they can offer hypotheses and such would more justify the price, and really wouldn't be too expensive to develop...or if you developed some sort of game, which would cost more to develop, but at the end of each 'level' or whatever they 'win' a new home experiment would be an interesting idea...

without seeing a fully developed product, I just don't see how enough information can be put on the cards...back to the online content, for the 'home science' cards, maybe you explain WHY/HOW the reaction happens, not just 'mix vinegar and baking soda or powder (whichever one it is)'...

and last time I saw my nieces a couple weeks ago, the 6 year old asked me 'uncle, when are we going to do another science thing, that was fun'...

I know my nieces are lucky to have access to things that not all students do, as they are a standard middle class, dual parent household with access...they live 20 minutes from a state university that puts on STEM demonstrations for kids 3x a year, and 2 of them have already been enrolled in 'special' classes at the college because they have the money to do so, the interest to do so, and the time to do so...but if you look at single parent households, the parent may have to work 2 jobs to support the family, and might not have $50 to spend...

if your primary market is the school system, I suppose the price would be more justified, because it could be shared with multiple classes, but if getting it in the home of students is the end goal, I think the price needs to get closer to the $20 range...I have no idea what your production costs and margins are, but I am way more likely to spend $20 on a gift for xmas or a bday, than to spend $50 on a gift for 'all of them'....

Back