Sad Day

Batman1641

Rookie
Transactions: 10
I know there is already a thread up for Tony Gwynn, but I will be honest it's not my thread. I feel like I need to write something. For those who don't know me, I collect Tony Gwynn and he has been my favorite player since I can remember. I loved watching hit. To me he was the best hitter in the game. And it wasn't just from natural ability, he studied every pitcher in the majors. He always had an idea of what they would throw him. 15 time all star with all 20 season played for Padres, career .338 hitter who never struck out more than 40 times in a season. I have a Rookie card of his that my brother got me for my Christmas or my birthday(Can't remember) that Gwynn signed in person. We never met him LCS owner was the one who got the auto. Although it was signed with an ink pen and the signature has started to go away it is still the only card in my collection I will never get rid of. I did tear up upon hearing of his death. MLB lost a great guy who always had a smile and never had a bad word to say about anyone. He would stay sign for kids at all the parks he visited. I will never get to me baseball hero, I will never get to shake his hand, I will never get to take my picture with him or have him sign a photo for me. I won't get to here him talk about the art of hitting. Even though I have never met him and I never will he impacted my life more than any ball player could. He showed you didn't have to be the strongest, hit the farthest, have the big arm in the OF to be the fastest player on the field. He was cerebral and that taught me more than what else could. R.I.P Tony Gwynn.

John Smoltz and Greg Maddux combined for 1 career strikeout on him

most players have people that absolutely hate them, but I don't know of anyone who hated Gywnn...sure you hated seeing him come up to the dish late in the game if he was playing your favorite team, but it seems as though everyone liked him

Back