Hockey Sad...Blake Geoffrion retires

ty4orce

Bench Warmer
More NHL offseason: Rumors | Top 50 Free Agents | Buyout Tracker | Trades | Transactions
In March, Canadiens forward Blake Geoffrion told the team he was considering retiring from hockey at 25 after suffering a serious head injury. On Monday he did just that, announcing he is hanging up the skates.
In a statement released by the Canadiens, Geoffrion called it quits on a career that ended way too soon.
"After suffering an injury in November and taking time to recover and reflect, I have decided to step away from the game of hockey for the time being," Geoffrion said. "I would like to thank Geoff Molson, Marc Bergevin, the entire Montreal Canadiens organization as well as the Hamilton Bulldogs organization for everything they have done for me. They have been unwavering in their support, professionalism and kindness. I cannot thank them enough."
You might note that Geoffrion didn't exactly close the door, saying he's retiring "for the time being." But you can expect that we've seen the last of Geoffrion as a player.
Geoffrion, the grandson of Hall of Fame player Bernie Boom Boom Geoffrion and son of Dan Geoffrion, suffered a depressed skull fracture from a big hit in an AHL game last November. It was his first season with the Canadiens after he was traded to Montreal from Nashville.
It's a pity to see a player have to retire at 25 years old, but it's probably the best decision Geoffrion can make at this point considering how severe his injury was. Perhaps he could have a future in hockey still, just not as a player. Or he could go a completely different route altogether. Time will tell.
"A young player appreciated by everyone within our organization, Blake has shown a lot of courage since suffering a serious injury," Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said. "He made the decision to end his professional hockey career, and we wish him the very best in his future endeavours."
Geoffrion was a standout at the University of Wisconsin, earning the Hobey Baker Award as the NCAA's top player in 2009-10. However, his success never translated to the NHL. In 55 career NHL games, Geoffrion finished with eight goals and five assists, eight of those 13 points coming in his first 20 games.

I was really looking forward to watching him play here in Montreal..unfortunately the game of Hockey is a tough one and an injury can take any given player on any given day permanently out of the game.....
It's just so sad because of all the hard work it takes just to make it into the NHL just to have it end so quickly.
abcc1.jpg

One day after announcing his retirement because of an injury, former Nashville Predators and Montreal Canadiens forward Blake Geoffrion has a new job in the NHL, as a pro scout for the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Blue Jackets announced the hiring Tuesday.
Geoffrion, 25, sustained a depressed skull fracture Nov. 9, 2012, while playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs, Montreal's American Hockey League affiliate, in a game at Bell Centre against the Syracuse Crunch. He had 13 points in 55 NHL games with the Predators and Canadiens from 2010-12. He also had two points in 12 Stanley Cup Playoff games with the Predators in 2011.
Geoffrion, a second-round pick (No. 56) by Nashville in the 2006 NHL Draft, played four seasons at the University of Wisconsin and twice played for the United States in the World Junior Championship. He won the Hobey Baker Award as the NCAA's top player in 2010.
He is the son of former NHL player Danny Geoffrion, the grandson of Hall of Famer Bernie "Boom-Boom" Geoffrion and the great-grandson of hockey legend Howie Morenz -- making him the first fourth-generation player in League history.
While Geoffrion is disappointed to see his playing career end, he's excited about the next phase of his hockey life.
“Anytime you do something for 25 years of your life and someone snatches that away from you, it’s a really difficult thing to cope with,” Geoffrion told the Blue Jackets' website. “I’m just about fully recovered, and since I’ve gotten back into things and talked with doctors about what I could do and couldn’t do with the recovery and risks, I decided that it just wasn’t worth the risk anymore.
“It’s bittersweet, but at the same time, [general manager] Jarmo [Kekalainen] and his whole staff have given me an opportunity to stay close to the game and do what I love, and be close to what I know best. I’m really excited to get started with this.”
Geoffrion said one of the most appealing things about Columbus was the chance to be part of an organization with a bright future, he said. Like any hockey fan, he has followed the offseason closely and is excited about the pieces coming together.
“I got a phone call from Jarmo and he wanted to know if I was interested in becoming involved with scouting,” Geoffrion said. “I hadn’t really thought about it and hadn’t been offered that title before. I thought about it and decided it was something I wanted to do.
“I think the Columbus Blue Jackets have a really bright future with some of the moves they’ve made – especially up top [in management] – and with the players they signed on July 5. This is a great opportunity for me to come in and grow with a good organization, and I’m excited for it.”
In addition, the Blue Jackets announced that Bob Halkidis is joining Geoffrion in the club's professional scouting department, while Marshall Davidson has been named an amateur scout.
Halkidis, 47, played in 256 NHL games with the Buffalo Sabres, Los Angeles Kings, Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings, Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Islanders.
Davidson comes to Columbus after spending the past five years as an amateur scout for the St. Louis Blues. He is the brother of John Davidson, Columbus' president of hockey operations.
RELATED NEWS:

This is old news now but I feel the need to revive it. Geoffrion was a good player and it's sad that his injury was game ending for him. Very smart move on his part, too players think they can just tough it out and end up regretting it. It's an all too familiar thing for boxers and hockey players. The body can take but so much.

In his case unfortunately it is life threatening ......I am glad that he is still in hockey even if it is just a scouting job ...he could still move up the ladder one day if he chooses..

This is old news now but I feel the need to revive it. Geoffrion was a good player and it's sad that his injury was game ending for him. Very smart move on his part, too players think they can just tough it out and end up regretting it. It's an all too familiar thing for boxers and hockey players. The body can take but so much.
I think that's a part of the reason why professional athletes can make so much money. They're literally selling their body for the entertainment of people like you and I, and then have to live with a reduced quality of life after they retire because of old injuries and the like.

That being said, if I had the talent to make it in pro sports, I would gladly trade my body for the glory haha :)

Some of us put our bodies through the rigors and never get the glory or the money......but we did it for the love of the sport....

Some of us put our bodies through the rigors and never get the glory or the money......but we did it for the love of the sport....
Too true - I played rugby when I was younger and now both of my shoulders dislocate outrageously easily. Just a week ago I dislocated my left shoulder while stretching. Yep - this is how I know I'm officially an old man haha.

Back