Roy Williams (S) is an embarrasment

I like Williams. I think he's a classy guy, tries hard out there. Some of the media have made him out to be more than he is, and his errors become more obvious as a result.

He is not the best cover guy, he's not the beast in the box many people think. He's an average to above average safety who gets alot of attention because of who he plays for.

As for the horse collar tackle I think it's stupid that it's even a penalty to begin with. How long did football exist with people tackling this way....

Yeah, he did and got penalized for it. Good point though and I do believe in sticking with your guys.
thanks, this is one of the things i like here, you dont really agree with me but we're not going to fight about it
I like Williams. I think he's a classy guy, tries hard out there. Some of the media have made him out to be more than he is, and his errors become more obvious as a result.

He is not the best cover guy, he's not the beast in the box many people think. He's an average to above average safety who gets alot of attention because of who he plays for.

As for the horse collar tackle I think it's stupid that it's even a penalty to begin with. How long did football exist with people tackling this way....
absolutely, there are some things that needed to be changed from the 70's and such, like leading with the helmet, but this was not a huge injury causing thing, and a big deal is made of it becasue a big name player was injured

Much agreed.

Roy is my favorite player (obviously). I think he is the beast that he's made out to be. But I also agree that it is dumb to keep doing something when you know it's a penalty and a harsh penalty at that.

Madden said it best during last nights game that even though it is a penalty, it's instinct. He's done it for so long, it's hard to get it out of your system.

I coach youth league football and see it everyday. The kids keep tackling entirely the wrong way but they keep doing it. Why? Instinct. It's what they do and they're used to it so it's hard to break the habit.

As far as a horse collar tackle being a "cheap shot", maybe it is. But people celebrate a guy like T.O. or Chad Johson being complete asses in the end zone when they score a touchdown, and that drives me crazy. As much as it drives me crazy, you know it drives a defense insane. Not only that, but it's a stiff penalty as well. So it's hard to blame a guy for making a tackle to prevent this stuff even when the tackle may not be exactly on the up and up.

Basically, I feel it's wrong to call out a guy like Roy for making a tackle, even when the tackle isn't appropriate. And not just because it's him. From the stand point of being a coach I'd feel that there would be need for correction but it'd be hard to punish a guy for making a tackle. With the rules that the NFL keeps putting in place it's making it harder and harder to play defense.

With the way it's going, how long before they just put flags on there hips?

Also, to whomever said something about when he hit Desmond Clark and didn't wrap him up and make the tackle. Yes that was awful and I was actually embarassed on that one. That was horrible. That kind of stuff makes it hard to tell a young kid to watch the pros and learn. That's an elementary play that he didn't make.

But hey, even the good one's make mistakes sometimes. Gotta dust yourself off and put it behind you ;)

Most overrated player ever? Ryan Leaf. Need I say more? ;)

I know I'm relatively new here but I gotta back my boy up much like any of you would when your guy is called out :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back