Football Report: Raiders offense has new man calling plays

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
The Oakland Raiders have yet another person calling their offensive plays. Just who is a matter of speculation.

Greg Knapp, the team's offensive coordinator, isn't calling the plays, a source told the Oakland Tribune. Raiders head coach Tom Cable is likely the man making the calls, the Tribune reported, though he hasn't confirmed it with the Bay Area media.

Knapp had been calling the Raiders' plays since the fourth week of the season. Former head coach Lane Kiffin handled the job to start the year, but Raiders managing general partner Al Davis forced him to share the duties with Knapp after three games.

Kiffin was fired on Sept. 30 and Knapp had taken the role unto himself until last week. The Tribune reported that, according to a source, Knapp won't get his job back for the rest of the season.

If the man calling plays is Cable, he wasn't about to blame himself after a 17-6 loss to Carolina last Sunday.

"It wasn't really about play-calling," Cable said. "It was our inability to stay out of those third-and-longs.

"...It's just too much to overcome," he said. "We're not there yet. So, we'll continue to go to work on it and keep working our tails off to score touchdowns."

The Raiders gained just 77 yards and had three first downs in a loss to Atlanta on Nov. 2. That reportedly prompted the latest offensive move for a team which had 113 points through nine games -- fewest in the NFL.

"I've got to manufacture some ways to score," Cable said, when asked if he has enough talent offensively. "I like the players we got. Are we getting them in the best position to do it? That's really what I've been looking at."

Back