Question about Upper Deck's PSA Authenticated Cut Autographs

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
I have a big question about Upper Deck's Prominent Cut's Autographs. (picture at bottom of this thread)

The verbage on the back of the card "The signature was independently authenticated by PSA/DNA" bothers me.

Shouldn't there be some sort of PSA/DNA number showing it was authenticated by them?

Upper Deck is well known for issuing Hockey Jerseys that are NOT game-used or player owned.

And here's the real kicker.. check out eBay. There is currently a 2009 DE Prominent Cuts Autograph that IS encased in a PSA case "authenticating" the signature. Which raises another red flag... it the back of the cards says "authenticated by PSA", why would PSA "re-authenticate" the signature? (NOTE: the card on eBay is NOT graded, just authenticated).

Just asking the questions because I am confused.

de cut 1.jpg de cut 2.jpg

I'm going to assume that they have purchased items on the secondary market that PSA has authenticated and cut them up. It would be nice if they put the PSA serial on the back of the card. However, just because someone decided to submit the cut auto card to PSA for slabbing and authentication doesn't raise any concerns for me. If that's what someone wants to spend their money on, I'm OK with that.

I know that there have been some GU issues in the past with card companies buying items that were sold to them as GU and then coming to find out that they were duped (how much actual homework they did...who knows)...but I think autos are pretty safe. I can think of one UD auto that's not authentic, but that's it. Honestly, I would imagine cut autos they buy that are already PSA authenticated are about as safe as it gets (unfortunately they are ugly).

Do you remember back in 2003, the "Retrospective" cards of Dale Earnhardt Sr? They were reproductions of cards previously printed. The cards included Autographs and Race-Used or should I say "pictures" of autographs and race-used with a black border around the "smaller picture" of the card.

Shortly after their release many of the grading and authenticating companies announced they would not authenticate the cards as many were being sold on eBay and other auctions sites as "REAL". After all, the cards were graded and authenticated, so they had to be real Autographs and Race-Used. Right?

It just makes me wonder, why wouldn't PSA offer a FREE authentication service to anyone who purchases a Cut Autograph that has the statement that it was authenticated by PSA? You know that PSA charged Upper Deck for the service.. then charging the collector with an additional fee. Double dipping?

It just makes me wonder, why wouldn't PSA offer a FREE authentication service to anyone who purchases a Cut Autograph that has the statement that it was authenticated by PSA? You know that PSA charged Upper Deck for the service.. then charging the collector with an additional fee. Double dipping?
I doubt that Upper Deck submitted the signed items to PSA. My guess is, Upper Deck purchased the signed items already certified from dealers and distributors on the secondary market.

Frankly, I think UD purchasing items authenticated by a reputable source is a nice change. Remember, UD was one of the card companies who purchased GU materials from questionable sources that turned out to be fakes.

So, why shouldn't PSA charge the collector a fee to re-evaluate the card? They have to examine the signature again...costing them employee time and resources. The card says it has been authenticated yet the collector doesn't think that's good enough. Why should PSA take the hit?

I do remember when those "Retrospective" cards came out and thought the whole thing was a shame. I'm not a NASCAR guy...but I remember thinking a lot of people made money dishonestly at the time.

Is that one actually in a PSA slab? I was looking around on eBay and noticed only one that looked like it was in a PSA slab (link). This one looks like it's in some kind of plastic holder, but I can't tell if it's a PSA slab.

Is that one actually in a PSA slab? I was looking around on eBay and noticed only one that looked like it was in a PSA slab (link). This one looks like it's in some kind of plastic holder, but I can't tell if it's a PSA slab.
This one is not in a PSA slab. That's a magnetic holder of some kind. But, I have seen some of these cards graded/authenticated before.

I think, the idea is that UD got into a lot of trouble in the past for having forgeries in their 1/1 auto stuff. By having PSA authenticate it (meaning, they probably cut up a PSA authenticated item), they attempt to pass the onus onto PSA for legitimacy. What probably happened is UD took photos/scans of the original item with PSA/DNA authentication and stored them. Given UD isn't a fly-by-night operation, this is probably enough authentication for most parties.

Edit: I just realized Camaro wrote the same thing. As for PSA authenticating items for free, that will never happen. PSA grades issued autographed items as such. I don't believe they even look at the signature.

Last edited:
I think, the idea is that UD got into a lot of trouble in the past for having forgeries in their 1/1 auto stuff.
I had not heard about this...do you have an article to reference as I would be interested in reading it? I know some of the companies have gotten in trouble for game used items not being game used...but I hadn't heard of an autograph forgery issue (like I said before, I only know of one example of a known non-authentic UD auto card...and on that one the player's wife signed about 2/3s of the cards). I'd be curious to read about this.

Back