Register or log in to remove this ad.

prisoner exchange program

sliqwill

Veteran
alright, on the old forum there was a 'political' forum, and i have to address this whole exchange that took place over the weekend...

for those that dont know, i was in the Navy for 8 years, held a top secret clearence the entire time, well after bootcamp i went through the process...they sent 'men in suits' to interview people that i had listed as references, as well as some i had not listed, so it is a legit process...i spent 15 months in bootcamp and 3 tech schools, did about 3 1/2 years onboard a destroyer as a tomahawk missile tech, then did a little over 3 years as a prison guard...i was not sent to GITMO, however, they were poaching guys from where i worked to do 6-9 month tours there, and had i stayed in, i was cut orders for 18 months at GITMO, so i know a bit about what is going on...

i am completely baffled at the trade, and the 'early' media reports that came out...i did not follow the bergdahl guys story, i just knew some dude was caputred and didnt look into it in more detail until this weekend...the reports were of how it was such a good thing to get our one POW (though we never declared war, so technically untrue to begin with) back...how the Amry had promoted him twice while he was 'missing,' which is a nice 'tactic' because the average joe watching the lies, i mean 'news' doesnt know how advancement works...the guy was an E-2 and was promoted to E-4, which was 'automatic' advancement for quite a few specialties, so this guy, who was 'in' the military for 5 years was at the same paygrade i was after 17 months...for about half of those who had to take the E-4 test, at least in the navy, advancement was 100%, so just wait your time, write your name down, and when results come out, you advance...advancement to higher paygrades had quite the differences between specialties, some as low as 2% and some as high as 100% for E-5, advancement for me was around 7% the first 3 test cycles, and you get points based on taking the test and how long you have been 'stuck' at your rate. when i advanced i scored in the 84th percentile and another guy on my ship that advanced was in the 17th percentile, which shows how points can stack up and be beneficial beacuse he advanced with more total points because of the number of times he had taken the test, and 13% advanced that cycle...so promotion actually meant nothing...

now we look take a look at what he was, an E-2, so what had he been exposed to? not much, unless he was a 'dirtbag' and had been busted down in rank...he wouldnt be dealing with much classified material outside of his area of operation, if he even knew where on a map he was, which i would say only around 25% of the ship actually knew where we were at any given time...he wouldnt know much about fighting tactics, as he was pretty fresh, as he had only been in the field for 2 months, he was basically a 'bullet sponge'...

now for years, dating back to at least the 80s when Ronald was president, the policy was not to make deals with terrorists, though it has happend numerous times through various operations, funding guerillas in central america, backing the afghans against the soviets, more recently with Libya (and before you say 'we were on the good side' explain why when the guys we supported took over various buildings the flag of the taliban was flown)...we have discharged 83 guys held captive at GITMO, at least that is the 'reported' number, and that may be a bit off, as they may have 'left' GITMO, but were still being held by the US or our allies, just over in Europe/Asia/Africa, but we dont conduct business like that they tell us...of those 'only' 5 have gone back to terrorist ties...keep in mind, it took how long to find Saddam and Osama, yet they were doing interviews with assorted media outlets, so how well do you think we are actually following up on these people...

so we decide to drastically change foreign affairs, and trade out 5 mid-high level terrorists for a rookie army guy, who may or may not have willingly changed sides....this all known by the government, notice how they havent said IF bergdahl will be charged, but they havent refuted it....

now before it starts smelling funny, lets remember, he had openly admitted to his parents and guys in his unit, that he was against what the US was doing over there, and his armor, weapon, and night vision were left behind, so it doesnt seem like much of a kidnapping, if he was kidnapped, there are some SERIOUS issues with base security over there...i already have concerns about how he would actually be 'let' leave...there are ways to get off a military installation that isnt the front gate, and i have not been to afghanistan to see what a 'base' looks like over there, but it isnt like he was poached off a post and taken away...

i also find it interesting that his parents just so happened to be in DC when they got the call that their son, who was gone for 5 years had been recovered...

i know, some of you are thinking im a complete nut, conspiracy guy, but things are 'off' to say the least...

his dad has apparently been in contact with the folks holding his son, he has grown his hair out and a beard, learned to speak two dialects of the region, and as of this morning (more than 48 hours after release) made a phone call to his son...granted i dont have kids, but i think that most 'normal' people, and ill use that term loosely, would want to talk to them immediately...when we took out the guys who were holding the crew of the Maersk Alabama, pretty sure that guy talked to his wife right away...sure the military would probably want to debrief him, but his parents had not ATTEMPTED to call him, and his dad was defending that position...

now the Washington Post has an article up about how the dad sent out a tweet about how he wants to free all of the prisoners at GITMO, and did the worst thing ever, DELETED the tweet, which always raises the red flag...sure, perhaps he was saying this to try to get on the good side of those holding his kid, but stacked up with all the other stuff, to me, the guy comes off bad...

party politics aside, (i have political views of Lupe Fiasco, yes the rapper) things have been done incorrectly...even people in the ARMY have been against the trade, as the Army Times facebook apparently blew up wth negatice comments shortly after news broke of the deal...we are 'fighting' a 'war on terrorism' so why give 5 terrorists away?...

i keep hearing this stuff about how there were 'immediate medical issues'...so i want to know what health scare he has that prompted this action, as i have seen we were offered this exact trade over a year ago, and its all the same players...our hostage for the 5 terrorists, same president, but i believe the secretary of defense is different, but the president has the overall authority of the military...

my personal thoughts, the whole adminstration needs to be taken out of office immediately...this isnt the first goofy thing that has been done, look at Eric Holder's record on things...selling guns to drug cartels that then used them to kill our border patrol agents, the Clinton stuff over in Benghazi...

/end rant

andy

Collector Planet Original
It is definitely a weird situation but hard to really say much because of the lack of information. Seems crazy to give up 5 terrorists for one guy....if it is that simple.

All the military people I know - and to be fair, none like Obama - really hate this. Still, I would trust their opinion on this more than most people.

sliqwill

Veteran
I think you could insert ANY white guy to the office of president and many would have the same reaction...and I say 'white' because of what happened outside KC yesterday on I-70 where the interstate was shutdown because there was a dummy with an Obama mask hanging off the side of a bridge, so not only was this racist (per comments second on the story by readers) it was considered a 'threat' towards the life of the president, as well as a bomb threat...and for several weeks when I was in California, there was a GWB doll hanging from a house near Mission Beach, but it could have been Pacific Beach, it was one of the two...it wasn't a considered a threat, it was 'humor'...I couldn't tell you the date whether it was pre or post 9/11, as I was in California from 99-02...

I just hate that people believe that mass media is not slanted or censored, and that there is no agenda in the news...I just don't think that anyone expected the negative reactions that have come of this situation...this isn't like the Jessica story over in Iraq, which I have heard was a 'game' itself and the rescue was completely staged...

just do me a favor, keep an open mind, and don't believe what the tv tells you, especially when they keep forcing it on you...

I don't say we need to remove all of the high level players because they are black or women or brown, it is because they are doing WRONG...

I have not passed judgment on the guy we got back, like I said, I don't know much about his story, but even if he was captured during a firefight with the enemy, I would not agree to trade 5 terrorists for him...