Post your Best Card Here!

That makes sense. I used to be more into card collecting than I am now, but I still love the nostalgic feeling of picking up a good trading card that you have the glory of calling yours. I will take your advice and think it through. Thanks!
No problem.

I had to stop collecting a few years back for lack of sufficient cash-flow, and only recently began going through my cards again. One thing I learned long ago is that the value of a card depends on desire, your own and others, and those two valuations rarely coincide.

That's especially true for the "class" of collector I am. I love the designs, the craftsmanship of them, but I'm also someone who bought low-end to mid-range valued packs/boxes, so I realize most of my cards are only desirable to me and specific types of collectors...people who want to complete sets or teams or get every card from certain players...and I typically value them more than others.

The problem for me is I have so many now that I don't know how many I have, and that's just pointless. I value them in certain ways, but they aren't worth much so it's hard for me to let go of 'em when I know I'm going to lose both money and cards lol

An example of that is I have hundreds of different "common" cards from each baseball team from the mid-80's to the mid-'oo's (32 teams total). I was thinking about putting them on eBay for a few bucks each, but when I researched it I found other people doing the same thing and not being able to sell them...and they were eeeeeeal cheap too. So it doesn't make much sense for me to even try, not if people simply are not buying. Most people are after the latest autograph, not buying more team-cards, as they probably already have most of them anyway.

Oh well. Back in storage they go lol...Just in case something happens to me, I've instructed my family to keep them forever....or at least twenty years, then see if they're worth unloading. They are natural hoarders anyway, so I don't foresee a problem with that. ;)

I am a baseball card collector and surprised that the 80s era of basketball cards was also so diluted of a marketplace. I seriously would have thought some of the hot basketball dynasties and those famous player cards would be worth a mint today. That's really sad to hear. Glad you are enjoying them ...

Along those lines ... here's the famous COMPLETE Hank Aaron puzzle (not to be confused with the pieces rocking around in the closet) :)

IMG_20130816_135843.jpg

No problem.

I had to stop collecting a few years back for lack of sufficient cash-flow, and only recently began going through my cards again. One thing I learned long ago is that the value of a card depends on desire, your own and others, and those two valuations rarely coincide.

That's especially true for the "class" of collector I am. I love the designs, the craftsmanship of them, but I'm also someone who bought low-end to mid-range valued packs/boxes, so I realize most of my cards are only desirable to me and specific types of collectors...people who want to complete sets or teams or get every card from certain players...and I typically value them more than others.

The problem for me is I have so many now that I don't know how many I have, and that's just pointless. I value them in certain ways, but they aren't worth much so it's hard for me to let go of 'em when I know I'm going to lose both money and cards lol

An example of that is I have hundreds of different "common" cards from each baseball team from the mid-80's to the mid-'oo's (32 teams total). I was thinking about putting them on eBay for a few bucks each, but when I researched it I found other people doing the same thing and not being able to sell them...and they were eeeeeeal cheap too. So it doesn't make much sense for me to even try, not if people simply are not buying. Most people are after the latest autograph, not buying more team-cards, as they probably already have most of them anyway.

Oh well. Back in storage they go lol...Just in case something happens to me, I've instructed my family to keep them forever....or at least twenty years, then see if they're worth unloading. They are natural hoarders anyway, so I don't foresee a problem with that. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20130816_135843.jpg
    IMG_20130816_135843.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 5
I am a baseball card collector and surprised that the 80s era of basketball cards was also so diluted of a marketplace. I seriously would have thought some of the hot basketball dynasties and those famous player cards would be worth a mint today. That's really sad to hear. Glad you are enjoying them ...

Along those lines ... here's the famous COMPLETE Hank Aaron puzzle (not to be confused with the pieces rocking around in the closet) :)

View attachment 1856
I like what you did with them! :)

...Mine are still in storage lol

I have a few open pages in my binders though, and I think I'll find them and do the same thing. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

I only have one year complete, 1990, the Carl Yastrzemski set, which I have several sets of. I intended to get the sets from earlier years, but it never happened. Once a year I'd eye them on a site, make the list of what I wanted, but I inevitably had bills to pay, and bills get priority over hobbies.

Still, I managed to purchase quite a few cards over the years...too many, actually, as it's now unmanageable! :eek:

I know, "That's heresy!" ;)

As for cards, value-wise...I'm surprised even 1950's and 60's cards can be bought for a few bucks each...which doesn't bode well for newer cards considering the sheer amount of them being produced today compared to back then.

Nope, it's a demented hobby I found myself in, though I don't think I really want to escape from it. I still enjoy them for their artistry, even if they aren't worth much $$$. Heck, if they were worth much $$$, I'd have probably been buying and selling even more of them...and my family would have had me committed years ago! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, it's definitely for love of it! When I can't afford to buy more I try to reminisce and look back at the ones I already have. When did I get them? What was I doing?, etc.

:)

I like what you did with them! :)

...Mine are still in storage lol

I have a few open pages in my binders though, and I think I'll find them and do the same thing. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

I only have one year complete, 1990, the Carl Yastrzemski set, which I have several sets of. I intended to get the sets from earlier years, but it never happened. Once a year I'd eye them on a site, make the list of what I wanted, but I inevitably had bills to pay, and bills get priority over hobbies.

Still, I managed to purchase quite a few cards over the years...too many, actually, as it's now unmanageable! :eek:

I know, "That's heresy!" ;)

As for cards, value-wise...I'm surprised even 1950's and 60's cards can be bought for a few bucks each...which doesn't bode well for newer cards considering the sheer amount of them being produced today compared to back then.

Nope, it's a demented hobby I found myself in, though I don't think I really want to escape from it. I still enjoy them for their artistry, even if they aren't worth much $$$. Heck, if they were worth much $$$, I'd have probably been buying and selling even more of them...and my family would have had me committed years ago! :D

I have been collecting for many years and no matter how nice the auto or patch or player...This is my most prized card....
dino3.jpg
Is... is... is that a dinosaur claw or tooth?? How thick is that card and where did you get it from? Is there a set of different dinosaur pieces? I've got tot say, that's one of the coolest collectible items I've seen.

Some pretty cool looking cards here that need to be entered into the contest we are running!

Tooth,roughly 3/4 of an inch thick.....Upper Deck Champs hockey..redemption for a Museum piece and was very lucky to get this one I have not seen any other...I've seen others wooly mamoth femur ..etc...here is a little write up on the dinosaur....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcharodontosaurus
I love some of the wild rewards collectors get. Sometimes entirely unrelated. Heck, at least it wasn't some promotion for some of the wild and crazed-eyed 1970s hockey players' teeth. lol. Thanks for sharing the link on wikipedia too.

My best card is a Roger Maris rookie card - 1958 Topps #47. I will try to get a photo to upload. I would love to get a grade on it at some point. Anyone know the best way to do that?

My favorite is probably either my 1959 Hank Aaron or my Johnny Bench rookie card. Unfortunately I'm away at school right now and separated from my cards:(

Well I cannot post a picture of it, and I am not sure that I would want to, but I do have a signed Walter Payton card that has to be worth a little something. My father was a huge Bears fan and he gave it to me a while back and I have it tucked away for a rainy day.

Back