Baseball Pedro gets Game 2 start for Phillies

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Pedro Martinez is scheduled to start for the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 2 of the World Series on Thursday night at Yankee Stadium.

The 38-year-old Martinez has a long history of memorable moments against the New York Yankees from his days with the Boston Red Sox. The right-hander, signed by the Phillies in mid-July after he sat out the first half of the season, also spent 2005-08 in New York pitching for the Mets.

Cliff Lee will start Game 1 on Wednesday night for Philadelphia. Cole Hamels, last year's World Series MVP, gets the ball in Game 3 at home.

CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte will start the first three games for New York, but manager Joe Girardi on Tuesday would not reveal his pitching plans beyond that.

Martinez, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, went 8-4 with a 2.95 ERA in 16 regular-season starts at the old Yankee Stadium. He is 0-1 with a 5.40 ERA in two postseason starts in the Bronx as a member of the Red Sox. One of those was Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, when manager Grady Little left a tiring Martinez in to pitch the eighth inning with a 5-2 lead. Martinez gave up three runs and the Yankees won on Aaron Boone's solo home run in the 11th off Tim Wakefield.

Overall, Martinez is 6-2 with a 3.13 ERA in 14 playoff appearances. He tossed seven shutout innings and earned the win in his only World Series start against the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 3 of Boston's 2004 World Series sweep.

Manuel's other likely choice for Game 2 was Hamels, who is 1-1 with a 6.75 ERA in three playoff starts after a dominating performance in the Phillies' run to the World Series title last season.

"He's been in the big moment, and I think that his performance the other day in Dodger Stadium, how good he pitched, he deserves another chance to go back out there," Manuel said of Pedro last week. "I think he's still got quite a bit left. I was watching those playoff games that he pitched in [for the Red Sox]. I noticed his velocity on his fastball was sitting at like 87 to 91 mph.

"He was even better than that over there at Dodger Stadium. He knows how to pitch. He uses all of his pitches. His command is absolutely outstanding. He doesn't rely on throwing the ball by people anymore. He's a pitcher."

Back