Panini's Upcoming Rewards Program

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
Panini has announced that they're going to eventually discontinue their redemption program, replacing it with a new rewards program. This is, in my opinion, a great move for Panini. Only time will tell how it affects collectors, but it's certainly a good move by Panini.

As far as I know the exact details have still yet to be announced but it sounds like rather than placing redemptions into packs where hits would normally be missing, Panini will now start to include point cards. I'm sure the point values will range depending on product, and maybe even vary within the products, but I'd say they'd definitely have to vary between products. Surely the point cards from National Treasures won't be the same point value as that of Prizm.

I think it will be interesting to see how well Panini can get the hobby community engaged in this program, buying and selling these point cards. I'm assuming that eventually you'll see selling points such as Kobe Bryant has now signed his Panini Certified cards, which are only available by using 100 points, or whatever. The thing to keep in mind is that the players that would have been a redemption before still won't be included in the product when this new rewards program takes place. The only thing that changes, basically, is that Panini isn't going to guarantee you a specific card of a specific player anymore, which again I feel like is a smart move on their part.

For the collector it will be interesting to see what people choose to do with these points, or point cards. I can see them becoming a big selling item on eBay eventually. People will definitely be looking to buy these points, especially when that might be the only way of obtaining specific player cards other than just buying them. They likely won't sell for a premium, but they will sell. I expect that eventually there will be a price value that is placed on the points, and one that is very likely to fluctuate month to month depending on the products (cards or otherwise) that Panini has available to purchase using these points.

Let's hear what you all have to say about Panini's new rewards program. Good idea, or bad idea?

Both will probably take a long time to fulfill can't say I buy enough product to amount to any real points. I feel that they will make them more frequent possibly replacing a hit out of a box

they did a points thing with 93 stadium club basketball maybe?...the Frequent Flyer points...ive got a few floating around, not sure what the whole thing behind them was, but it was some sort of redemption program

Cautiously optimistic. Great for big breakers and people who don't want redemptions. All in the details (eg, how items in the catalog are made live, PRs and quality of players in the catalog, how points are distributed, etc.) All said, this has potential to be a complete gamechanger, and I applaud when any card company tries something new. Even if I think it is idiotic, I love when companies take chances and don't just keep the status quo.

I applaud when any card company tries something new. Even if I think it is idiotic, I love when companies take chances and don't just keep the status quo.

I couldn't agree more in this instance, but companies have done some things that have made me think maybe they were trying to fail. :LOL: That said, I really do think this could be a good move for Panini. I just wonder how it'll work out for the collector, especially collectors like me who don't open a ton of personal packs or boxes.

Back