Panini pulling back their decision to stop honoring expired redemptions

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
After earlier this month, when it looked like Panini was no longer going to honor expired redemptions, it looks like they've decided to reverse that decision. In an article written today, on Panini's blog, Panini stated:

paniniamerica said:
It’s worth noting that the update allows Panini to continue to work with collectors in regards to expired redemptions (Panini America remains the only major trading card manufacturer who tries to honor expired redemption cards) and will continue to fulfill expired redemptions if we still have the actual card in stock; for cards that are no longer in stock, collectors will continue to receive 50 percent value in Panini Rewards Points as determined by Panini.

Panini has updated their site so that now you'll be able to submit your expired redemptions without getting an error telling you it's expired. For those expired redemptions where the card is still in stock, you'll get your card. Otherwise, you'll get some Panini points, but only worth half what Panini decides your redemptions would've been worth.

The 50% value thing kinda stinks, but it's better than what other companies do for expired redemptions. At least Panini is trying to do something, even if it's just slightly better than nothing.

The 50% value thing kinda stinks, but it's better than what other companies do for expired redemptions. At least Panini is trying to do something, even if it's just slightly better than nothing.
So let me get this straight, I pay full price for a box, get an expired redemption that cannot be redeemed and I am supposed to be happy Panini is willing to give me 50% of a value they determine? What a joke! Yeah, they are honoring them, but why not just eliminate players who don't sign before you pack the product out? Oh that is right, people would not buy it if they don't think they have a chance at certain players autos. So let's dangle the carrot and when we fail, screw the collector in the end!!! We shouldn't be happy with this to be honest, they need to find a better way and not just Panini, Topps and UD as well. That is one thing I liked about In The Game products, they didn't do redemptions EVER!!! If they didn't have autos of a player to put in the product, they didn't go in the product or checklist, there was no "carrot dangling" and yet somehow they always seemed to get the top players (except those that were signed to exclusive deals with other companies). Glad I rarely purchase Panini products, I do miss them for hockey as they did some nice stuff, but knowing this I would think twice about buying any older product and would check to see who is a redemption on the checklist before buying. Maybe there should be a movement against paying full price for packs, if all we are going to get is 50% redemption points of a Panini determine value!!! Better yet, just stop buying!

Again, we're in agreement. I don't think redemptions should be a thing. It's borderline illegal, in my opinion, and most definitely shady. I just meant that at least they're doing "something", which is more than the other companies are doing. I give them credit for that, but certainly don't want it to take away from the fact that none of this should be a conversation anyways because redemptions shouldn't even exist!

Back