Package in the mail to day... holy "smoke"...

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Really sad... I cannot stress this enough... if you smoke, please do not smoke around your cards!

I received a highly anticipated package this afternoon. $150 of race-used and autographs. As the dogs went crazy barking to let me know the mail man had stopped by, I walked out to the mail box, opened the mail box...and was met with the foul smell of smoke.

The mail man DOES NOT smoke, at least not while delivering mail, and it did not take long to realize the smell was coming from the Yellow Padded Envelope.

Knowing that this is usually a sign that the cards are ruined, I went into the house, sat down at the kitchen table, and opened up the envelope. Much to my displeasure the smokey order only got worse!

The cards were in snap-tites, so I opened each one and much to my delight the cards are okay. I immediately took the envelope and the snap-tites out to the garbage and placed the cards in penny sleeves and top loaders.

Yeah! I dodged that bullet... but seriously, I would have been highly upset if the cards I had just purchased were trash. This has happened more times than I can remember. Not too long ago I did a trade for a ton of baseball and football autographs and game-used... only to throw them all out in the trash due to the smokey smell. Oh, there are ways to "get rid of the smell", but once smoke or dampness gets into the cardboard, forget it... in the trash they go (much like a magazine or newspaper).

So again, let me say this... if you smoke, please keep it away from the cards.

I have found that you can easily eliminate the smell of smoke from your cards. 1 cup Oxy-Clean, and 1/2 cup Lysol, mix them in washer (make sure you set to large load, for plenty of cold water. You don't want to use hot water because that may cause shrinking and color run) on pre-soak, and gentle wash cycle, then over to the dryer with a Cling-Free sheet and 30 minutes on fluff. Works wonders!:woot:

I have found that you can easily eliminate the smell of smoke from your cards. 1 cup Oxy-Clean, and 1/2 cup Lysol, mix them in washer (make sure you set to large load, for plenty of cold water. You don't want to use hot water because that may cause shrinking and color run) on pre-soak, and gentle wash cycle, then over to the dryer with a Cling-Free sheet and 30 minutes on fluff. Works wonders!:woot:
I'll try that next time. :D

oh man... you had me going for a minute! Humor at it's best! Thank you very much for making my day!

1/4 cup ammonia in a shallow saucer, place cards on a flat surface, place flat cards and ammonia in a closed area until smoke smell is gone. for a closed area I have actually used both my oven and microwave before. Just make sure either is clean first. You don't want to get rid of the smoke smell just to replace it with pizza smell. Do not place cards on a plate, they tend not to lay flat as plates tend to taper up at the edges. Depending on how big your microwave is you may only be able to get 1-2 cards in there with the saucer. If you have several cards you need to de-smoke place them in the oven with 1/3 cup in the saucer. Just make sure the wife or kids do not pre-heat the oven! I will let you come up with your own explanation to give to your wife as to why you are cooking your cards. I honestly have not been able to explain the process with a straight face yet!

Tim... not sure I can trust you or not! hahaha

I have tried chemicals to help take the smell away, but so far the best thing I've found is to... throw them in the fire.

It is not perfect. Works best with junk wax era. DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH TIFFANY CARDS THOUGH! Not consistent results with modern stuff. Again do not use this method with glossy, Tiffany, chrome or heavily foiled cards. I have had some bad chemical reaction fumes with the glossy and chrome cards.

Back