Opinion Time, what do you consider the 'darker side' of our hobby?

oregonweim

Bench Warmer
This was a subject we kind of broached when talking about events we saw/experienced at the Nationals. It is probably safe to say that they would differ for each of us, but what do members here consider the 'negative' about the hobby, and this can be anything....

E.g., people who trim cards; people faking patches; people removing/substituting cards in raw card holders; bad traders (fraudulent, thieving not annoying :D),

things like that :D I could go on forever but who cares what I have to say :D heh

Upper Deck.

Unrealistic asshats on ebay.

Beckett.

Fradulatent asshats on ebay.

Upper Deck.

The flooding of jersey and autographed cards.

The fact there are now "packs" that are up to $1000.

The obliteration of card collecting for kids.

Upper Deck.

backdooring practices at some of the major card companies

preferential grading by grading companies

my conspiracy theory is this: bgs will sometimes deliberately give you a 9, but get it close enough that you can get a 9.5 just so you spend extra for a review and then extra again to reslab it.

charing for grading autos is a huge rip off...no one gives a crap.

"hand packed" cases - AKA "let me nab a few nice cards"

all the landfill that cardcompanies are making with plastic cases and metal tins and crap that only serve to increase the cost of the boxes.

redemptions! interesting how some people get great replacements while others get junk. One guy admited to me at nationals that he asked for a three color monta ellis exquisite rc and the guy hooked him up because they had gone out to dinner at a prior show

Upper Deck.

Unrealistic asshats on ebay.

Beckett.

Fradulatent asshats on ebay.

Upper Deck.

The flooding of jersey and autographed cards.

The fact there are now "packs" that are up to $1000.

The obliteration of card collecting for kids.

Upper Deck.

these are my biggest problems, its why i havent been buying boxes or singles really, now an 80 dollar box is complete ish and your only gonna get 2-4 "hits" and they will most likely be freebie level jerseys(nothing wrong with freebies but i would like to pull one or two cards occasionally that i could possibly get something in return for)
you have to spend about 200 for a box to get the same shot at some decent cards as a few years ago when an 80-100 dollar box would usually yield something nice

these are my biggest problems, its why i havent been buying boxes or singles really, now an 80 dollar box is complete ish and your only gonna get 2-4 "hits" and they will most likely be freebie level jerseys(nothing wrong with freebies but i would like to pull one or two cards occasionally that i could possibly get something in return for)
you have to spend about 200 for a box to get the same shot at some decent cards as a few years ago when an 80-100 dollar box would usually yield something nice

QFT

Something that hasn't been brought up is this - the introduction of case hits. People are now ripping until they get the case hit and then selling the rest of the tins/boxes on Ebay.

It's almost like you shouldn't buy some products by the box or tin because of these case hits and shouldn't be allowed to sell without some disclaimer.

Something that hasn't been brought up is this - the introduction of case hits. People are now ripping until they get the case hit and then selling the rest of the tins/boxes on Ebay.

It's almost like you shouldn't buy some products by the box or tin because of these case hits and shouldn't be allowed to sell without some disclaimer.

i do like the idea of a guaranteed "case hit" but shady people selling the rest of the boxes after they hit it is a shame.

This is one rare problem that isnt caused by the card companies (in my opinion) by people without morals and scruples.

I wouldn't mind if they sold them with full disclosure, although I've never seen that happen on ebay.

Unless of course you don't get a case hit... :doh: :doh: :doh:

I think the darkest side are those who think of this hobby strictly in terms of "flipping" cards either from ebay to show or shows to Ebay.

When I set up at shows it drives me nuts when other dealers come and try to buy things from my case to put into theirs for an extra $5-10 ... then someone will pick it up and try to slap it on ebay for an extra $5-10 - it totally distorts the market and leaves actual collectors with a bad taste in their mouth.

Those types and people who search or sell "hot packs" or tips are all my worst enemies.

People who steal cards in trades. Also people who buy blasters and search the packs then return them.

UD and thier redemption's

There are shady people everywhere.....I don't think there is anything that can be done to prevent most of the stuff from happening.....all we can do learn from the mistakes of others.....and if you have a doubt about anything, post here on this site and ask for advice......we have a really good thing going here with having a pretty tight knit group.....I'm sure if anyone has any questions about anything, someone here would be able to help.

"High end" has hurt the hobby. I dont even bust what is now considered high end but too many people - noncollectors esp - just busting because they can. I love going to the cardshop with my brother. He just loves cards and hasnt been tainted by what people on a message board think. i know I'm a loser but Topps Total is a fun product to bust.