NFL Roster Cutdown Day

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
alright, so 7 hours until NFL rosters are required to be at the 53 man limit...

some of the 'bigger' names of the casualties

Terrelle Pryor
Curtis Painter
Ben-Jarvis Green Ellis

Kyle Orton signed with Bills after they cut Jordan Palmer, which for some rotoworld thought was a big deal, since you know, he got cut by the Bears less than 2 weeks prior and signed with the Bills

Jordan Lynch, this upset a bunch of locals I guess, I found it less shocking than him not being drafted as a 'project' and what I have read is maybe the Bears didn't play him much because they didn't want someone to snag him on cuts, allowing them to resign him in the next week. He led Chicago in rushing week 1 of the preseason, then didn't get another carry until week 4, when he got 6 in a row at the end of the game. he has a ton to learn, as he has NEVER played anything other than QB, and they are converting him over. This hasn't worked well in the past converting QBs to something else. there was limited success with Brad Smith out of a 'major' conference, then Josh Cribbs and I believe Julian Edleman was also a Mid-Major onvert, and who can forget Tim Tebow?

anyways, list some of the bigger cuts and local outrage from those cuts...

I wish it were possible for Dallas to cut their entire defensive front and just start over. Unless they find a way to get pressure up front this is going to be a very long season for that secondary, and the team overall.

you could always grab one of the guys the Rams are going to likely cut, as they are saying Michael Sam and a UDFA are really fighting over MAYBE 1 spot on the DL

After the cuts today, and seeing the Cowboys' finalized roster it's tough for me, even as a Cowboy fan, to look at the roster (especially the defense) and say that this teams looks better than an 8-8 team. Even on paper that defense looks terrible with the injuries. Even without the injuries this defense would be mediocre, at best.

The receiving corps doesn't look too bad with Dez, T.Will, and Cole Beasley in there. I like that. That said, if Romo goes down, who's going to throw to them? Our second best quarterback is Brandon Weeden?

The offensive line looks pretty good. Young, but good. Definitely something that we can work with, especially with Romo under center. The running backs are great, too, in my opinion.

So, basically, I would have extremely high expectations for this team if the defense wasn't so awful looking! Now I just HOPE we can make the playoffs, finally!

Daryl Richardson, started at RB last season, cut
Jeff Tuel, started at QB last season, cut
Eben Britton, 2009 2nd rounder, cut
Nate Burleson, shouldn't be too crazy, but the Browns are pretty thin at WR...hes hung on the league for 11 seasons, so wouldn't be shocked to see him on a roster by week 6
Alex Green, 2011 3rd rounder, cut
Chandler Harinsh, 2012's Mr. Irreverent, NIU Grad, hope he hooks on somewhere...NIU has more of the 'gadget' QB's that apparently the NFL isn't too excited about
Champ Bailey, over the hill, so if he doesn't hook on somewhere in a day or two, wouldn't be shocked to see him retire
Robert Meachem, never really did much, was shocked he was still on a roster, cut
Stephen Hill, 2012 2nd rounder, BUST, cut
Josh Boyce, 2013 4th rounder, couldn't make a terrible Patriots WR corps, cut
Shayne Graham, leaving the Saints with 0 kickers, cut
Michael Sam, someone will pick him up, or will at least be on a practice squad somewhere, cut
Chris Ogbonnaya, filled in well the past couple years, pretty weak YPR, but caught a number of passes, cut
Jeff Demps, all kinds of speed and the Pats had him on the roster at times last year, cut
Darryl Tapp, best known for getting LIT UP a couple weeks ago, cut
Daniel Thomas, projected opening day starter for the Dolphins, cut
Kassim Osgood, one of the top special teamers, cut
TJ Graham, 2012 3rd rounder, tough to shine as a WR in Buffalo with Manuel at the helm, cut
Ryan Williams, often injured, believe he was a 3rd rounder out of Fresno in 2011, cut
Tajh Boyd, put up killer numbers at Clemson, looks like NYJ are only going to carry 2 QBs, he will be on someones practice squad, cut
Vincent Brown, 2011 3rd rounder, played at San Diego State, couldn't make San Diego roster, not sure if he can still go on a practice squad, but could resurface, cut

James Harrison, former Steeler Super Bowl Hero, retired

Back