Football NFL Legend Junior Seau Found Dead

Archangel

Bench Warmer
a11a6c57.jpg

TMZ first reported that retired NFL star Junior Seau was found dead Wednesday morning, and that the police were investigating after his housekeeper found the NFL legend with a fatal shotgun wound to the chest. He was 43 years old.

The report has been confirmed by the North County Times:

Pro football great and Oceanside sports legend Junior Seau has apparently committed suicide, found by a housekeeper with a gunshot wound to the chest, according to multiple sources.

Oceanside Mayor Jim Wood said he learned of the death from police Chief Frank McCoy.

Police responded to Seau's home on The Strand on Wednesday after receiving a call about a reported suicide. The San Diego County medical examiner's office said an investigator was sent to the scene.

From The Yahoo! blog Shutdown Corner - Click here for the rest of the story

Years of taking hits to his head probably contributed to the severe depression he was facing. Not good news press wise for the NFL. Thoughts and prayers definitely go out to the family.

Its even more creepy to think that now 8 guys from the original 1994 Chargers Super Bowl year are now deceased.

Very sad to hear. I know there needs to be a lot more research done on brain injuries in the NFL as I am hearing people say the reason that people are comitting suicide and shooting themselves in the chest instead of the head is so that their brain can be disected and analyzed. I know they get paid big bucks and there are risks associated with playing, but some more protection needs to be given while not losing the integrity of the game.

This is really sickening. He was a very good player in his day, and I will always remember him for his effort on every single down. R.I.P Seau

UPDATE -

The family of deceased NFL star Junior Seau has decided to allow researchers to study his brain for evidence of damage as the result of concussions, San Diego Chargers chaplain Shawn Mitchell said per Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times.

"The family was considering this almost from the beginning, but they didn't want to make any emotional decisions," Mitchell told The Times on Thursday night. "And when they came to a joint decision that absolutely this was the best thing, it was a natural occurrence for the Seau family to go forward."

Seau died Wednesday of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his chest. He was found by his live-in girlfriend in their Oceanside home. He did not leave a suicide note.

Mitchell said the family came to the decision to allow Seau's brain to be studied "to help other individuals down the road."

I hope that this progresses in the studies down the road for the NFL. Losing players that helped the game so much, in this fashion, is really so tragic.

Back