Newbie Here Saying Hello

Appreciate the welcome (even if you are a Bears fan) 😀

My son got exposed to Pokémon cards from his after school karate class, after that I showed him all the old cards I had and he was hooked on both. Now he'll get a pack of his and I'll get a pack of mine and open them together. It's pretty awesome and I likely wouldn't have ever gotten back in it again if it wasn't for him.
I am more of an 85 Bears fan, we havent had a great deal to cheer for recently (and by "recently" I mean, since about 1993!!)

So cool that is how it worked out for you guys, and also that your son studies Karate, my son is 8 and loves it!!

Blessings,

Kevin

I am more of an 85 Bears fan, we havent had a great deal to cheer for recently (and by "recently" I mean, since about 1993!!)

So cool that is how it worked out for you guys, and also that your son studies Karate, my son is 8 and loves it!!

Blessings,

Kevin
Awesome man, my son is 7 he doesn't really love karate but he likes it and started at 2 so I think he's just accepted it. He's a green belt and has a tournament coming up in a couple weeks, just a local thing his school against a few others in the area. I told him if he wins I'd take him to the card shop 😀

Awesome man, my son is 7 he doesn't really love karate but he likes it and started at 2 so I think he's just accepted it. He's a green belt and has a tournament coming up in a couple weeks, just a local thing his school against a few others in the area. I told him if he wins I'd take him to the card shop 😀
That is a great incentive! Good for him, advancing to a green belt at 7 years old! I am sure he will enjoy that trip to the card shop too, he will do great!

Welcome to the club! A awesome group of people here! Happy trading!
Thanks bro and appreciate the bump!

Next dumb question, I have a handful of cards I want to get graded. I've done a bit of research and am I correct to assume PSA is the way to go assuming you are looking to re-sell them? I know PSA is a higher cost and slower turn around (neither are that big of a concern for me) but is there anything else I should think about, other companies to look into, tips anyone has, etc.?

Next dumb question, I have a handful of cards I want to get graded. I've done a bit of research and am I correct to assume PSA is the way to go assuming you are looking to re-sell them? I know PSA is a higher cost and slower turn around (neither are that big of a concern for me) but is there anything else I should think about, other companies to look into, tips anyone has, etc.?

For resale I would say PSA. Only other two I would consider is BEckett and SGC

Good luck!

Last edited:

Hey @sandcar3,

What are the cards you are considering getting graded. If they are vintage stuff, I’ve really noticed an uptick in the sales of SGC graded especially in the vintage space. They are far more reasonably priced right now as far as submissions go and the gap in overall value, especially in the mid-grades seems to be closing up. Just thought I’d toss in my two cents. Good luck with the grades!

Andy

Yep, as a Badger fan I watched all his college games and barring injury I think he'll have a good career. Card was pretty cheap and since I'm not looking to flip it I figured it was a good starting point.

Somewhat related Wisconsin's successor to Taylor is Braelon Allen and he has all the potential in the world I'll be getting any of his cards once he declares for the draft (was just a freshman this past season).
My son was a sophmore on our football team and his first game in spring 2021 football was playing cornerback against Fond Du Lac and Braelon Allen. That kid is a man beast. Beat my son for a long pass. They took my son out of the game pretty quick once that happened.

Hey @sandcar3,

What are the cards you are considering getting graded. If they are vintage stuff, I’ve really noticed an uptick in the sales of SGC graded especially in the vintage space. They are far more reasonably priced right now as far as submissions go and the gap in overall value, especially in the mid-grades seems to be closing up. Just thought I’d toss in my two cents. Good luck with the grades!

Andy
I have two main ones I want graded for sure one is an old (1970) Lew Alcindor card and the other is a new C.J. Stroud auto that I lucked into with one of the first boxes I got since collecting again. Beyond those I likely have some other 80's early 90's rookies but I need to confirm possible value and rough condition. I'm not sure if there are price breaks or anything for various amounts of cards so that could also dictate how many I send for rating. Oh and I told my son I'd send in a Pokemon card of his choosing, and my wife has some numbered Patrick Mahomes card I'll likely send too (just to appease both of them I don't think any will have much value).

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into SGC too!

My son was a sophmore on our football team and his first game in spring 2021 football was playing cornerback against Fond Du Lac and Braelon Allen. That kid is a man beast. Beat my son for a long pass. They took my son out of the game pretty quick once that happened.
Dude, that is awesome, I'm a full grown man who has been lifting weights for 25+ years now and I'd have no desire to attempt tackling Allen!

Back