New Ebay Auctions - Ending 8/5/07 Night

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but why do you constantly sell the new "investments" or "PC items" that you just recently get in? I thought the nature of an investment was to hold it for awhile until it goes up.

Well actually i have explained this in detail to alot of members of the collecting community. Many people do not like how i collect cards because I enjoy the buying/selling or making money off of it aspect. I sell my cards just like any other person sells their cards and that is because:

*people are paying more for it than what you paid for it.

*you need money for something else.

*you like to see what it will sell for based on events that have happened.

*you can piggy back off of other hot cards you are selling.

*you dont want to invest as much anymore in the player/card/set etc..

*there hasn't been alot of that player listed and maybe there is demand

*you got a steal and you are flipping it

*you dont like the look of the card in person

*you get a perspective on who is buying them and maybe if you need to ask them to buy a larger quantity of the player's items. I did this with some of my Bryant Johnson's this summer. Penn State collector who was buying things for a good price and I inquired.

The main thing that I do when I want to invest in a player is that I want to limit the amount of money I spend in the collection as a whole while making the quality of cards for that player better. I like to keep that amount of money I invest in a player around a certain level. Sometimes I'll add money to the collection if there are cards out there that I just want. I definitely though keep my favorites as long as I can.

I dont know if you were around when I collected Larry Johnson and Steve Smith (2003-05). I did the same exact thing that i do with Bulger/leftwich/Bry Johnson. That is I buy and sell to fine tune the collection and if they hit it big I sell off. If they dont i fine tune it until they do and if it seems they never will then I sell off and cut my losses. Sometimes its a slow process and sometimes i do it all at once. Sometimes i lose out and sometimes I do it just in time.

So with that said lets break down the cards i am selling now

Bulger stuff - he just signed his contract and training camp has begun, not much stuff on ebay..great time to sell a little bit to recoup some of the money that i spent on him picking up the rare cards i didn't have. :dance:

Leftwich stuff - I paid for little for the cards I have up now, he has seen a few spikes in some of his cards recently due to him being named the starter and the start of training camp. For ex, i bought a 2003 classics rc auto for $29 dlvd and sold it not even a month later for $53 dlvd. That makes up for some cards that i lost money on (like all the ones Elan buys from me) and also helps me maybe get another more sought out Lefty card that might do better than his classics rc auto when and if he hits it big. :morebeer:

Bryant Johnson/Kevin Curtis/Shaun McDonald/Chris Brown - Not much of their stuff on ebay. Bry Johnson i am balancing stuff that i bought. He is one of my weaker investments at this point along with SMcDonald. I desperately try to buy and sell smcdonald to recoup some money that i have already lost on him, but i haven't given up hope yet. Chris Brown has seen a little spike in his cards but still not near where i was paying for him a few years ago. :boohoo:

THolt stuff - Some of his autographs have gone for high amounts recently. for ex, i bought a 2000 bowman reserve auto for $8 dlvd a few months ago and then last month sold it for $20 dlvd. Nothing happened but there wasn't alot of Holt Stuff on ebay and i saw a couple of new bidders bidding on holt stuff so i threw up some holt cards...sure enough. :surprised:

Rondo - it should be easy to see why i'm selling his stuff after accumulating so much :dance:

Dwest - to see who the buyers are after he gets traded. Doesn't look like he has any new big time buyers to rival Secote and I.

Leon Washington - trying to ween off of him while not losing that much money.:doh:

Sjackson - he sells for so much higher than what i paid for these cards. I dont have much stuff left but i do have my favorites of him still.

Hope that helps with your questions if not then i dont know what to tell you. I guess to sum up, if i am going to buy new stuff then i gotta sell some stuff.

Well actually i have explained this in detail to alot of members of the collecting community. Many people do not like how i collect cards because I enjoy the buying/selling or making money off of it aspect. I sell my cards just like any other person sells their cards and that is because:

*people are paying more for it than what you paid for it.

*you need money for something else.

*you like to see what it will sell for based on events that have happened.

*you can piggy back off of other hot cards you are selling.

*you dont want to invest as much anymore in the player/card/set etc..

*there hasn't been alot of that player listed and maybe there is demand

*you got a steal and you are flipping it

*you dont like the look of the card in person

*you get a perspective on who is buying them and maybe if you need to ask them to buy a larger quantity of the player's items. I did this with some of my Bryant Johnson's this summer. Penn State collector who was buying things for a good price and I inquired.

The main thing that I do when I want to invest in a player is that I want to limit the amount of money I spend in the collection as a whole while making the quality of cards for that player better. I like to keep that amount of money I invest in a player around a certain level. Sometimes I'll add money to the collection if there are cards out there that I just want. I definitely though keep my favorites as long as I can.

I dont know if you were around when I collected Larry Johnson and Steve Smith (2003-05). I did the same exact thing that i do with Bulger/leftwich/Bry Johnson. That is I buy and sell to fine tune the collection and if they hit it big I sell off. If they dont i fine tune it until they do and if it seems they never will then I sell off and cut my losses. Sometimes its a slow process and sometimes i do it all at once. Sometimes i lose out and sometimes I do it just in time.

So with that said lets break down the cards i am selling now

Bulger stuff - he just signed his contract and training camp has begun, not much stuff on ebay..great time to sell a little bit to recoup some of the money that i spent on him picking up the rare cards i didn't have. :dance:

Leftwich stuff - I paid for little for the cards I have up now, he has seen a few spikes in some of his cards recently due to him being named the starter and the start of training camp. For ex, i bought a 2003 classics rc auto for $29 dlvd and sold it not even a month later for $53 dlvd. That makes up for some cards that i lost money on (like all the ones Elan buys from me) and also helps me maybe get another more sought out Lefty card that might do better than his classics rc auto when and if he hits it big. :morebeer:

Bryant Johnson/Kevin Curtis/Shaun McDonald/Chris Brown - Not much of their stuff on ebay. Bry Johnson i am balancing stuff that i bought. He is one of my weaker investments at this point along with SMcDonald. I desperately try to buy and sell smcdonald to recoup some money that i have already lost on him, but i haven't given up hope yet. Chris Brown has seen a little spike in his cards but still not near where i was paying for him a few years ago. :boohoo:

THolt stuff - Some of his autographs have gone for high amounts recently. for ex, i bought a 2000 bowman reserve auto for $8 dlvd a few months ago and then last month sold it for $20 dlvd. Nothing happened but there wasn't alot of Holt Stuff on ebay and i saw a couple of new bidders bidding on holt stuff so i threw up some holt cards...sure enough. :surprised:

Rondo - it should be easy to see why i'm selling his stuff after accumulating so much :dance:

Dwest - to see who the buyers are after he gets traded. Doesn't look like he has any new big time buyers to rival Secote and I.

Leon Washington - trying to ween off of him while not losing that much money.:doh:

Sjackson - he sells for so much higher than what i paid for these cards. I dont have much stuff left but i do have my favorites of him still.

Hope that helps with your questions if not then i dont know what to tell you. I guess to sum up, if i am going to buy new stuff then i gotta sell some stuff.

Nice stuff you got listed. Well said reply makes since to me :clap:

I wasn't calling you out or anything, and I don't see any problem with it as I like the money making aspect as well. I was just curious. It's like that commercial where the guy wins some expensive thing at an auction and says "I'd like to sell it now," and the voiceover says "Buying and selling investments so quickly doesn't make sense." So I was just curious :D

its definitely all good. I know how it may look at times but i really have built my collections up without spending alot of my own money out of pocket (well i like to think so haha) kinda nickel and diming it and lots of hard work since I only buy/sell a few players.

Back