Nebraska Fires Coach... why?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Okay, I know it's all about WINNING... but hold up! With a record of 9-3 how can the AD justify the firing?

I'm sure there are several University's out there right now that are saying "Quick! Grab Coach Pelini before someone else does!"

I think this much published tweet by Offensive Lineman Matthew Finnin says it all:
Stupidest [word removed] decision I've ever seen, heard, or been a part of.

— Matthew Finnin (@StepDaddyFinnin), November 30, 2014

He's won 9 or 10 games every year he has been there. I think Nebraska has forgotten they are not the Nebraska of old. Tom Osborne isn't going to walk through the door and take over this team. IMHO, this is a bizarre move.

couldn't agree with you more Richard. They are not the "Oklahoma butt-whooping team" of yester-year, but give them time and they might end up ruling the Big Ten... or 12.. or 14.. whatever it is now.

Bo Pelini was with Nebraska for seven seasons and showed no signs of fielding a national championship class team. Nebraska has the resources to be a top-five school, so the lack of championship level competitiveness reflects on the coach. If the AD didn't get rid of Pelini, he would likely have gotten fired, himself.

Sure, it looks odd to fire a 9-win coach, but digging deeper shows a 5-3 record in conference this year. Pelini never really got to that next level, and the AD rightfully realize this before Pelini had a chance to become a legacy coach of mediocrity.

Bo Pelini was with Nebraska for seven seasons and showed no signs of fielding a national championship class team. Nebraska has the resources to be a top-five school, so the lack of championship level competitiveness reflects on the coach. If the AD didn't get rid of Pelini, he would likely have gotten fired, himself.

Sure, it looks odd to fire a 9-win coach, but digging deeper shows a 5-3 record in conference this year. Pelini never really got to that next level, and the AD rightfully realize this before Pelini had a chance to become a legacy coach of mediocrity.
He sure turned them around after Bill Callahan. Nebraska was a joke when he took over and he brought them back to being respectable. I think what got him more than the 9 wins where the fact that they were very close to being 7-5...they got flat out lucky against an FCS school. I think that they struggled too much this year when they had high hopes to go the other direction.

The issue I have is he had success...and if you are going to fire him you better replace him with an improvement. I just don't see one available.

Back