NCAA Football - Final Four NOT what it's suppose to be?

WIll a "2-loss" team make the NCAA playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only if they are from the SEC

• NO Team (from any conference) should make the playoffs with a 2-loss record!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
I love the idea of NCAA Football having a playoff system... what I HATE is the fact that the voters are already setting it up for a team to possibly make the playoffs with a "2-loss" record.

Watching ESPN's "Mike and Mike" this morning and they made several good arguments about a 2-loss team making the playoffs.

Oh wait... NOT just any 2-loss team but a team from the SEC.

Notice this weeks poll... four of the top seven are from the SEC.

If the playoffs were played this weekend, based on the current poll, three of the top four teams would be from the SEC. It's true that those three SEC teams are undefeated, but look at their schedules. When half your games are scheduled outside your conference, against teams that are lucky if they can get three wins each year, well... it doesn't say much for the team.

What are your thoughts? Will a 2-loss SEC team make the playoffs this year?

I think it's really hard to predict these kinds of things. Could a 2 loss team make it...sure. It would just depend on how things shake out.

I would imagine that the SEC champion will make the playoff. If that team happens to have 2 losses, then there will be a 2 loss team. Outside of there being fewer than 3 undefeated or 1 loss teams...I can only see 2 scenarios where a 2 loss team makes it.

That would be:
1. 2 loss SEC Champion
2. 2 loss Pac-12 Champion with both losses earlier in the season two quality opponents.

I think the SEC and Pac-12 (in that order) are the vastly superior conferences this season and those teams are playing a really tough schedules. I really don't see the SEC champ not in the playoff. I think the Pac-12 champ stands a really good chance of going...even with 2 losses if the stars align correctly.

IMHO, I would rather see a 2 loss team from one of these conferences over a 1 loss team from a weaker conference. Look at Florida State, they have a pretty soft schedule. The only real challenge is Notre Dame...what it Notre Dame murders them. Would a 1 loss FSU team be more deserving than 2 loss Alabama? I don't think so.

I don't think this system is perfect. I would love to see a large playoff personally. I would love to see something along the lines of 20 or 24 teams. Heck FCS has a 20 team bracket now. With a playoff of that size...every conference champ can be included and there would be also be wild card spots. But...I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Back