Football My Unusual Attachment to 1989 Topps

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
Yes, I know 1989 Topps football was horrible. Overproduced and an uninspired design. It's all true. But, my childhood is tied to this set so I have a special attachment to it.

Some time ago, I decided to put together a 1989 Topps Master Set. It was actually more complicated that one would think. Here is what I came up with:

1989 Topps Base Set (396 Cards)
1989 Topps 1000 Yard Club Insert Set (24 Cards)
1989 Topps Box Bottoms (16 Cards)*
1989 Topps Traded Base Set (132 Cards)
1989 Topps American/UK Set (33 Cards)*

I have it all completed. Not surprisingly, the Box Bottoms and the American/UK set proved to be a little challenging (the rest was very easy).

I have them all in a binder...with one exception. I don't have the American/UK set in the binder. I picked up a complete unopened (still sealed) set a while back pretty cheap. I have seen some people asking upwards of $25 for some of the individual cards in the set. I picked up the unopened set for about $19 a year ago. It's a great example, the little retail punch tab is still intact where it would have been hung at a store. I'm really hesitant to open it because it's so pristine...but I'm also not enjoying at as is.

So here's the question. Do I open it...or do I search for another set?

keep it sealed! can only add to the value... other than that... I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the collection. I know it would take forever to take pics.. but maybe just a few from each?

I think I will leave the UK set as is and look for an opened set for the binder. They are out there.

I will get some photos of the set up over the next few days.

Back