My First (Real) Set Chase

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
After seeing some of Bud's success stories, I've decided to give it a go...a real go!

This particular set only has 24 cards (hey, it's a start!), but will still likely take me some time to complete just because the prices of some of them are a little higher than what I like to pay considering they aren't autographed and don't contain any memorabilia.

I've always been a fan of the way Allen & Ginter looked. It's one of the best looking products every single year. I'm especially fond of the minis, and at one time opened several blaster boxes just to see how many of the non-baseball card minis I could get. Anyways, not being big on baseball all I can do is admire the looks of the cards, always hoping that they'd start making football.

Well, years ago I started browsing eTopps and found my dream set. I wanted to chase it then, but knew that I'd never have the patience to see it through so I never even tried. I always see cards from the set, though, so they're regularly on my mind. Well, tonight I decided to start my first real set chase. Like I said, it's only 24 cards, but they're some of the best looking cards I've seen.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, my first set chase will be the following:

2008 Allen & Ginter Super Bowl Champions (6 cards)
2009 Allen & Ginter Super Bowl Champions (9 cards)
2011 Allen & Ginter Super Bowl Champions (9 cards)

It is technically 3 different sets, but the cards from all 3 years are sequentially numbered together. So, 2008 is 1-6, 2009 is 7-15, and 2011 is 16-24.

Here is an example of what they look like, for those of you who have never seen them. I'll pick one of the best players in the set to show off. :D

emmittsmithag.jpg

I should have my first one of these in the mail at some point this week as I just picked it up on eBay tonight. It's not the Emmitt Smith, but it is another Cowboy running back. I'll start a new Show and Tell thread on my chase as soon as the first one arrives.

I know I have a serial number set maybe 2, I sold all the first year, but I know I have the Payton year matching serial number set, maybe the one after it as well, at least I know I have some extras from the year with Lawrence Taylor

I know I have some extras from the year with Lawrence Taylor

Let me know what you could use for them, if they're available. The only one I have incoming right now is Tony Dorsett, so I might be interested in anything else you have.

i havent gone looking for the set i have with Walter Payton that is matching serial numbers, but just floating around i have

Jerry Rice
Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Tom Landry
Lawrence Taylor

Got my first one of these in today. I'm going to have to find a way to make my scanner work better on cards that are encased. The picture looks kinda bleh! I do say, though, that after seeing the first one of these in person I've definitely made the right choice in chasing the full set. The cards are beautiful!

dorsett.jpg

You need a CCD scanner that will pick up objects at depth. Most run of the mill scanners are CIS scanners and will only pick up the part of the object in contact with the glass

You need a CCD scanner that will pick up objects at depth. Most run of the mill scanners are CIS scanners and will only pick up the part of the object in contact with the glass

Thanks for the tip! I did some research on it and I'll definitely have to look into getting me one of those.

For those following this chase, I picked up the Emmitt Smith and Roger Staubach today on eBay too. So now I'm 3 down, 24 to go. That puts me at 12.5%, which is likely closer than I've ever been to completing a full set before. :LOL: I'm well on my way now! @Krusin, get ready to build me that display when this thing is finished! :D

Back