My Custom Sports Card Creations

Here is one I finished today. This one is a little more "mean spirited" than most of my creations...but hey, it's a rivalry.

The truth is...this guy was a standout local recruit for Oregon a few years back. He was a powerful runner with good speed who made a big impact for the Ducks and played a roll in the 2013 run to the CFP title game. He was plagued with injury problems and there were rumors that he was not good with coaches and had conflicts (I don't know if it was true). He played in 2013 and 2014 in a part time roll and sat out 2015 with a shoulder injury. He decided in 2016 that his career was over and medically retired in 2016.

He then decided to make a comeback in 2017. Per NCAA rules...he wasn't allowed to return to Oregon (don't know if he wanted to). Ultimately he choose the hated rival Oregon State Beavers declaring he'd "always dreamed of being a Beaver." So, he is not a favorite among the Oregon fans these days.

Anyway, I decided to make a card in his honor and I based the design on 1988 Topps football league leaders for the front. The back is based on a standard 1988 Topps reverse.

#121 1988 Topps Thomas Tyner
cl3BZCP.jpg

Looks good! I really like the "Turncoat" touch. Sounds like a good concept for a subset project.
I kind of thought so too...it almost reminds me of the "changing stripes" cards that someone put out several years back...but mine sounds a little more mean. It could be fun. Maybe a Brett Favre one with the Packers and Vikings. :D

Here are a few more.

This first one seemed like a fun idea. I decided to take the Jimmy Garoppolo trade from last season and use it for a pair of 1989 Topps themed cards. I created a base card for him with the Patriots and an updated Topps Traded card with him on the 49ers.

#122 1989 Topps Jimmy Garoppolo
VuQ7MIP.jpg

#123T 1989 Topps Traded Jimmy Garoppolo
QrAq2Tn.jpg

Up next is a card I actually created a couple weeks ago anticpating Kirk Cousins signing with the Vikings. I haven't heard that he has "officially" signed yet...but if he hasn't it sounds like he will very shortly. I wanted to wait until it was "safe" to post it and I think it is.

#124 1993 Fleer Kirk Cousins
1mJpmBW.jpg

Here is the last one for now. Because it is card #125...I thought I would go back to my original card and create another one for that player. As many of you know, that was Danny O'Neil. One set I remember vividly as a child was the 1995 Draft Signature Rookies set which included one autograph per back of a rookie. Most were players that would go in later rounds but some good one's were in there (Kordell Stewart, Curtis Martin, Terrell Davis). I remember I pulled a Terrell Davis in the first pack I opened...I still have it.

O'Neil was of the right year to have a card in the set (the only Duck featured was Herman O'Berry). So, I decided to make a card of him.

#125 1995 Draft Signature Rookies Danny O'Neil
kCw66gD.jpg

I like the way it looks. I always thought this was a good looking set. They also made parallels to this set, International #'d 1 of 13,500, and an autograph parallel of both set, #'d 1 of 7,750 (Base), and 1 of 2,750 (International). It would make a nice little set, to have all 4 cards, with the 2 of them being autographed by him.

I'm kinda glad he's not in a Jets uniform. Just seemed like a lot of money to blow on one guy. I understand he's the top free agent quarterback, and he has pretty good personal numbers, but his win loss record the last 3 years since becoming the starter, is only one game over .500 24-23, with one Wild Card appearance, when the Packers trounced them 35-18.

While historically, the Jets prowess at identifying QB Draft picks on the other hand, are a veritable Who's Who, of Who the Hell is that? :woot: 1961 Howard Dyer, 1962 Wilburn Hollis, 1962 Mel Melin, 1962 Sandy Stephens, 1963 Mike Taliaferro, 1963 Ron Vander Kelen, 1963 Pete Liske, 1963 Bill King, 1964 Jerry Rhome, 1964 Dick Shiner, 1965 Archie Roberts, 1965 Bob Schweickert, 1965 John Huarte, 1965 Joe Namath, 1967 Bob Biletnikoff, 1969 Al Woodall, 1976 Dave Buckey, 1976 Richard Todd, 1977 Matt Robinson, 1978 Pat Ryan, 1979 Dan Sanders, 1983 Ken O'Brien,
1987 Bill Ransdell, 1990 Troy Taylor, 1991 Browning Nagle, 1992 Jeff Blake, 1994 Glenn Foley, 1997 Chuck Clements, 2000 Chad Pennington, 2003 Brooks Bollinger, 2006 Brad Smith, 2006 Kellen Clemens, 2008 Erik Ainge, 2009 Mark Sanchez, 2011 Greg McElroy, 2013 Geno Smith, 2014 Tajh Boyd, 2015 Bryce Petty, 2016 Christian Hackenberg

Yes, there are a few good ones sprinkled in. But you get the picture. Even though, I still have hope they will score in the draft(eventually)! Preferably this year!

I think the Jets grabbing Teddy Bridgewater is a good move. He looked good for the Vikings before that horrifying injury and might be a good fit. Lets face it, the Jets are in need of a rebuild and will be losing for a year or two anyway. Bridgewater is a good leader who won't fall apart if they lose a few games. He has the right personality to lead a team through a rebuild and is a really good player...provided he can stay healthy.

I'm not sold on Cousins either...but he did put up big numbers and with all the talent in Minnesota already I can't see them being anything but the 2018 NFC favorite. He's certainly an upgrade.

I like the way it looks. I always thought this was a good looking set. They also made parallels to this set, International #'d 1 of 13,500, and an autograph parallel of both set, #'d 1 of 7,750 (Base), and 1 of 2,750 (International). It would make a nice little set, to have all 4 cards, with the 2 of them being autographed by him.
That would be cool. I know the logo on the International cards is about the only difference...maybe #126 will be an International version.

I love this set and I might try and do a master set at some point. A few years back, I completed the standard issue auto set. I also picked up a couple of the promo autographs (Rashaan Salaam and Michael Westbrook). I also have the lowest SP of the set already...the dual auto "Double Vision" insert of Ki-Jana Carter and Rashaan Salaam. It's a /100 card which is pretty low for 1995.

I'm kinda glad he's not in a Jets uniform. Just seemed like a lot of money to blow on one guy. I understand he's the top free agent quarterback, and he has pretty good personal numbers, but his win loss record the last 3 years since becoming the starter, is only one game over .500 24-23, with one Wild Card appearance, when the Packers trounced them 35-18.

While historically, the Jets prowess at identifying QB Draft picks on the other hand, are a veritable Who's Who, of Who the Hell is that? :woot: 1961 Howard Dyer, 1962 Wilburn Hollis, 1962 Mel Melin, 1962 Sandy Stephens, 1963 Mike Taliaferro, 1963 Ron Vander Kelen, 1963 Pete Liske, 1963 Bill King, 1964 Jerry Rhome, 1964 Dick Shiner, 1965 Archie Roberts, 1965 Bob Schweickert, 1965 John Huarte, 1965 Joe Namath, 1967 Bob Biletnikoff, 1969 Al Woodall, 1976 Dave Buckey, 1976 Richard Todd, 1977 Matt Robinson, 1978 Pat Ryan, 1979 Dan Sanders, 1983 Ken O'Brien,
1987 Bill Ransdell, 1990 Troy Taylor, 1991 Browning Nagle, 1992 Jeff Blake, 1994 Glenn Foley, 1997 Chuck Clements, 2000 Chad Pennington, 2003 Brooks Bollinger, 2006 Brad Smith, 2006 Kellen Clemens, 2008 Erik Ainge, 2009 Mark Sanchez, 2011 Greg McElroy, 2013 Geno Smith, 2014 Tajh Boyd, 2015 Bryce Petty, 2016 Christian Hackenberg

Yes, there are a few good ones sprinkled in. But you get the picture. Even though, I still have hope they will score in the draft(eventually)! Preferably this year!

Looks like they just traded up to #3 to grab a QB. They gave up a lot to move up 3 spots. Do you think it will Ken O’Brien or Dan Marino this time?

Just curious, what do you do with the "Finished Product"? Just keep them for personal use?

I have a New Orleans Saints History website and I always thought it would be cool to make a set of Old School Player cards and offer them on the site but copyright issues kept me from pursuing that idea.

But I thinking I might just follow your tutorial for fun and see how it turns out. I use GIMP but it shouldn't be that different.

Anyway, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Just curious, what do you do with the "Finished Product"? Just keep them for personal use?

I have a New Orleans Saints History website and I always thought it would be cool to make a set of Old School Player cards and offer them on the site but copyright issues kept me from pursuing that idea.

But I thinking I might just follow your tutorial for fun and see how it turns out. I use GIMP but it shouldn't be that different.

Anyway, I'd love to see what you come up with.
It's mostly for me. I don't produce a ton of the designs because it is labor intensive and isn't that much fun. I really enjoy the designing.

I have done some on request in the past...but I have never sold them due to copyright issues. For me, it is more of a hobby and it was a creative way for me to learn photoshop.

Back