MLB Lockout Ends

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
It's about time! Only took 99 days...

...but, it's over, and baseball will be back on for a full season! The biggest thing I disagree with is giving the owners the power to change defensive shifting rules. I'm sure it'll make the offensive game a little more exciting, but it's just another thing to diminish the strategy of the game. Why can't batters just be expected to learn how to hit to the opposite field? There are very few players where a huge shift is in place so why do the rules need to change for them? Joey Gallo comes to mind for me, because he played for Texas and I was constantly complaining that he couldn't hit to left field. I never once got upset at the other team for shifting. Hell, I'd do it too if the batter was incapable of hitting to all parts of the park.

Other than that though, I'm fine with the rest of the changes. Most importantly, I'm glad baseball is back!!

So glad it is back. Hoping to catch a spring training game or two when we get to Florida in about 8 or 9 days. Actually, going to start checking today and see if games are scheduled for Florida spring training for the week we are going to be there.

Dennis

I am guessing Spring training is going to be cut short since they are starting a month late?

It's about time! Only took 99 days...

...but, it's over, and baseball will be back on for a full season! The biggest thing I disagree with is giving the owners the power to change defensive shifting rules. I'm sure it'll make the offensive game a little more exciting, but it's just another thing to diminish the strategy of the game. Why can't batters just be expected to learn how to hit to the opposite field? There are very few players where a huge shift is in place so why do the rules need to change for them? Joey Gallo comes to mind for me, because he played for Texas and I was constantly complaining that he couldn't hit to left field. I never once got upset at the other team for shifting. Hell, I'd do it too if the batter was incapable of hitting to all parts of the park.

Other than that though, I'm fine with the rest of the changes. Most importantly, I'm glad baseball is back!!

Glad baseball is back for sure. I haven't looked at all the different allowances that each side got/gave up.

Getting rid of the shift is kind of stupid to me -- what other sport dictates how you position your players. I'm sorry Greatest Show on Turf Rams, you can only play 2 WR's at any time and Marshall Faulk is only allowed to run the ball and not catch it. I'm sorry Jordan-era Bulls, you can only play zone defense and not allow Jordan/Pippen to create absolute havoc on other teams offense. Also, Rodman is only allowed to rebound on the defensive end.

If you don't like the shift, than tell your hitters to bunt. you get 20 straight bunt singles, they will stop shifting. Are they still allowed to play at double play depth? Bring the infield in to cut off the runner at 3rd with less than 2 outs?

As far as I'm aware, they haven't actually changed the rules regarding the defensive positioning yet. I just saw that there is language in the agreement that will give the owners the power to change it if they want to. I don't like it, most fans won't like it, and hopefully the owners will realize that and not change it!

Back