Mike's Custom Sports Card Creations

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
I was browsing another forum and saw where one guy was getting in to creating his own custom trading cards. He included a tutorial on how to do it, so I thought I'd make a go at creating my own as well. This thread will be used to show off some of my work. I'm hoping to get into some more detailed cards in the future as I have time but for this first one I used the same design that was used in the tutorial, which is 1989 Topps Traded football.

Here's a look at the first one that I created. I'll create a back for the card at some point in the future, but first will be card #2 of this custom set.

football-1989-topps-dez-bryant.jpg

I had to add a watermark because the guy who wrote the tutorial has been seeing his designed cards for sale on eBay so the watermark is there to prevent some lowlife from printing these cards out and trying to pass them off as real for a profit. Also, I decided to use my old SCU website logo as the logo for my cards, even though that website is no longer in use. Ha!

Disclaimer: I guess I should mention that most of the cards designed here will be using designs that are copyrighted by card manufacturers. I do not condone, nor support, copyright infringement. I am creating these cards for my own personal use only. None of the cards here will be sold, traded, or even given away.

So I had so much fun with the first I went ahead and made the few necessary changes to complete #2 in my custom set. Probably not a surprise to anyone here who the subject is but here you go!

1989-topps-traded-02-jason-witten.jpg

I think you did an amazing job Mike. Those are really nice!

Thanks man. Working on another right now but it's a bit more complicated. Trying to make an insert set with a similar design to 2016 Optic but with a bit of my own personal touch.

Always liked that design 1989 Topps Football. Some people don't they ignore anything from mid 80s to mid 90s for some odd reason.

Here's a custom set I'm working on. I actually based the overall design on the look of 2016 Optic with my own twist. This will be an insert set of some of my favorite "Record Breakers". I had to start it off with a guy who I always loved to watch when I was a kid.

01-brett-favre.jpg

Finally got around to starting a new set. This is an iconic baseball set, that I've turned football.

Of course I had to start it out with one of the best quarterbacks to ever wear the star.

1952 Topps Tony Romo
01-tony-romo.jpg

It's been a while since I had time to play around with Photoshop, but today I finally got around to working on some more of these customs. I'm not sure why, but I decided to work on another set. This time I'm making a Vince Carter set, base and inserts, out of the 2018 Classics image. This is what I had when I decided to call it quits for the day. I'll likely end up trying to make a base card, like this one, for each of the different teams he's played with. Then I'll move on to some insert sets.

2018 SCU Classics Vince Carter
2018-scu-classics-vince-carter-01.jpg

Last edited:
I made a few minor (barely noticeable) changes to the first card then decided to work on the second one. Next up was the Raptors. I'll probably end up doing more than one of the Raptors just because I feel like that's the team he's most commonly associated with. Who knows, there may be more than just a few Raptors cards.

2018 SCU Classics #2 Vince Carter
2018-scu-classics-vince-carter-02.jpg

Back