Manning surpasses Favre.... now what?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
First... let me say CONGRATULATIONS TO PEYTON MANNING for surpassing Brett Favre's Touchdown Record...

But, I have to wonder... how much longer before Favre decides to come out of retirement to try to take the record back...

What a nightmare!

First... let me say CONGRATULATIONS TO PEYTON MANNING for surpassing Brett Favre's Touchdown Record...

But, I have to wonder... how much longer before Favre decides to come out of retirement to try to take the record back...

What a nightmare!
Oh...lets not even think about that. I'm so glad that guy is long gone. He was fun to watch...but by the end, it was so annoying.

I'm just glad that Favre has one less positive record to his name. I always hated the fact that he held the most TDs/INTs/attempts/completions/yardage/starts records, as it gave many of his records a "compiler" feel. Ideally, Manning will be able to gain the 5000 or so yards he's short on the career passing yardage, as well, over the next two years. I'm not sure he'll be able to close the 600+ completions gap, but that would be another nice record to go to a QB who didn't rely on simply sticking around to collect records.

I'm just glad that Favre has one less positive record to his name. I always hated the fact that he held the most TDs/INTs/attempts/completions/yardage/starts records, as it gave many of his records a "compiler" feel. Ideally, Manning will be able to gain the 5000 or so yards he's short on the career passing yardage, as well, over the next two years. I'm not sure he'll be able to close the 600+ completions gap, but that would be another nice record to go to a QB who didn't rely on simply sticking around to collect records.
He very well might catch the completions record if he plays another season. In his two years with Denver, he has had 400 and 450 completions respectively. He is on pace for 400 this year which would be about another 250). That would leave him about 370 shy of breaking the record. I think if he plays through 2015 he will be really close.

I think the career attempts record is the one that will be hard for Manning to get. Based on his current pace, he will be about 1000 short at the end of this year. That would put him on pace to break it in 2016 with his current rate. I'm not sure he will play that long.

I think he will break the yards record next year too pretty easy.

So, I would imagine he could hold the career records for completions, yards, and TDs by the end of next year (and I think we will play that long). If he chooses to play through 2016...I think we will have a shot at the attempts record too...but I just don't know if he will play that long.

I think Favre's Int record is well out of range for Manning (which I'm sure Peyton is OK with). Based on his current pace, he will be about 100 short at the end of this year. That would put him breaking that record about 2023...probably not going to happen, lol.

... and NOT to mention all the times that Favre was taken out towards the end of the game, when his team was losing!, because he was hurt.

Yeah... I HATE the guy... never could stand him... but watch some of the films from the games that fell in the lost column. Especially towards the end of his career... and I had to laugh when he would throw an interception. Immediately holding his arm as if he had just broken it.

Much like T-Bone (Tebow for those that don't know...), he really wasn't a team player. It was all about him.

Bottom line: Let the records fall! (except the interception one!)

I don't mind Favre holding the following records:

Most starts
Most INTs
Most pass attempts
Most times sacked
Most losses

All of those are indicative of a compiler's career. I actually hope Manning *doesn't* get the most attempts record, as I think holding both the attempts and completion records lessens the value of the completions part for me. I like knowing that Favre took the most attempts and has the most INTs without having the most completions or TDs.

I think Favre's career is somewhat fascinating. He had incredible longevity and good health. On the other hand, he was serious cowboy in the sense that he would just throw the ball up.

I also think it is easy to forget how good he truly was in the late 1990s. For a few years, he truly was spectacular.

He is the all-time winningest QB...but does not hold the record for most losses. Vinny Testaverde holds that mark with 123 losses.

Back