London -the verdict

scotsman

Bench Warmer
Well finally got to see my ultimate dream - an NFL game - live in UK ( would have preferred Detroit but beggars can't be choosers!). What did I think well,.............

(a) it rained, but my god these guys are paid a lot of money and should be catching balls whatever the weather

(b) it's sooo slow - now I know how I manage to iron the entire week's laundry during a game

(c) I love the game but I did not see many players who would match up against our rugby team:( This is not a statement I make lightly either (and not because I have had a few beers because I haven't - most people couldn't be arsed to get bladdered watching that!))

(d) there is one 'Phins cheerleader who on raising her arms has ribs that are the double of breasts (well from row 44!) Kept an entire quadrant of the crowd happy for a quarter:cheers:

(e) the crowd were superb despite the dross we watched and there is a massive following over here that would readily watch anyone during the season. All the US citizens I spoke to were astounded at the level of knowledge and sheer support for the game. Only team I did not see a shirt for was the Texans - saw 31 others! Everyone was exasperated by the performances but loved the day. And do NOT blame the journey and time difference. Absolute hogwash that it makes any difference after 4-5 days of being here:hand:

(f) I do hope it came across that we were vocal - basically cheered anything that moved - not that much on either side moved exept Jacobs!

(g) to correct NFL.com - Martin Johnson was not booed - our soccer captain was - JOhnno won the World Cup for rugby earning not too much whilst the other chap earns £10,000+ per week! Guess who we like more!

(h) Please come back - and give us a better game- pot luck I appreciate but surely we can't get as bad as that again:wall:

tell me about the guy that ran out onto the field, the network wouldn't show what was going on.

Naked except for the black/white cap - usual prat that does all sports over in Europe. Has been everwhere and does not entertain anyone nowadays:doh:

It was bad timing after Chambers was traded and Ronnie Brown was injured. There's probably 5-6 college teams that could play with the Dolphins... could be the worst team in recent memory.

Cleo Lemon - Jesse Chatman - Marty Booker won't remind anyone of Aikman-Emmitt-Irvin.

Hopefully, the NFL will go back next year and you'll get a better matchup.

yeah they were talking before the game how the footing would be way different because its a different type of grass similar to what would be on a golf fairway and with all the rain it wouldnt be good...

the game wasnt carried on my stations, but they did do the opening national anthems and kickoff, but other than that i didnt see any of the game

rugby guys are tough, and i think they, or aussie rules footballers would do well in a linebacker postion, but the difference in balls might be bad for offense, but the aussie kickers have seemed to fair well in the past..

Please do not take offense to this Paul:

I do not care about a regular season game being played in London, but I'll be damned if anywhere other than the US should host a Super Bowl.

Too many teams here getting snubbed already because of weather/dome things or whatever so until they get the SB to EVERY city that hosts a team then no way in hell should there be a game with the magnitude and importance of the NFL Super Bowl be played outside the US!

I hear about how some there feel about American Football. Much like a lot of us feel about Soccer here in the US.

NFL is the NFL, not a world cup thing.

No offense to you or your country Paul because I have all the respect in the world for you and I hope you know that. I think if they do a game other than in the US, it needs to be a pre-season game.

Cano, you hit it on the head, could not have said it any better :salut:

Besides, with only 16 games in the NFL season, even just one with the stresses of this, really messes stuff up.

Not a fan of real games outside of the US... no offense.

No offense taken guys - I personally feel the Superbowl idea is daft but would imagine some of the teams that don't fill their stadiums would love to play in front of 90,000 fanatics once a year. The talk is of a 17 game season and one game at least in Mexico/Canada/Germany or here.

Of course I would be peeved if my rugby went across for a week. Thanks for the loan and actually the game was better on tv this morning:cheers:

Photos will follow but they're not too brilliant.

No offense taken guys - I personally feel the Superbowl idea is daft but would imagine some of the teams that don't fill their stadiums would love to play in front of 90,000 fanatics once a year. The talk is of a 17 game season and one game at least in Mexico/Canada/Germany or here.

Of course I would be peeved if my rugby went across for a week. Thanks for the loan and actually the game was better on tv this morning:cheers:

Photos will follow but they're not too brilliant.

Hey Paul, I was sitting at home rooting for my Giants to put on a show for you guys but they couldn't. From the interviews after the game it seems that the field and the weather played a big part in the slow and sloppy game. All I could think of was the people sitting in the stands wondering why they stopped so many times and the commercial breaks are hell. I am a season ticket holder and during games like that it's tough but I don't mind cause I'm a huge Giants fans. If you are not a fan of either team then those games can get brutally boring.

As far as watching it on TV, I thought it looked and sounded great. I thought the fans were awesome and seemed into it even though it was a crappy game. All the Giants interviewed after the game said the crowd was awesome and everyone they met was really nice and treated them very well.

I wish you had a better time and better game to watch but those are the breaks.

One question for you, why would they build the most expensive stadium in the world in a place where it rains all the time and not have a retracktable roof or something covering the field. I guess it doesn't effect soccer as much because they don't have to catch the ball and hold it but I would think it would effect Rugby.

I don't know much about Rugby in the UK but I would think there isn't a player in the league that is 265 pounds with SPEED and can trample people and run right through them like Brandon Jacobs. The man is a beast. I also think the speed within the game is a huge aspect in the NFL. From the offense and defensive linemen to the RBs everyone is FAST. I don't know how much speed plays a part in Rugby on the interior with the larger players. I may be way off here cause I don't follow Rugby but those are just my thoughts.

Rob, most neutrals were glad the Giants won. I have to say the speed of the players was deceptive as on the tv it comes across far better. Having not watched a live game before I took a while to get my mind-set right watching the teams. The intricasies are less noticeable and the failings are maximised!

As for rugby, it is different and you are right Jacobs-like players are few and far between!
Oh, and the lack of a roof - god only knows who thought it best not to have one:doh:

Glad the players appreciated the atmosphere. We tried our best and my throat is bloody sore!

Back