La Jolla landslide

Seahawklady

Bench Warmer
pronounced La- Hoya for non California-ese speakers ;-)

This has been a big thing here in So Cal... and actually I know two people in the way of this. One, my ex-boss from when I worked at Pet Kingdom, his house is a few houses to the south of this, and my friend Merryl who lives farther down on Desert View right in the apparent path of this slide, if it continues. Last I heard, the whole area here has been evacuated.

Bill ( the Ex-boss) is a very good friend, and he's my favorite Steelers fan. (sorry Blitzburg ;) ) My friend that lives below this slide does seabird rescue, and depending on the season can have up to 40-50 touchy and quite honestly stinky seabirds (Least Terns are her speciality, but she also has cormorants, and fulmars... Fulmars are the NASTIEST seabirds ever. If you think common seagulls are nasty, they are parakeets compared to Fulmars! ugh!)

This is not the first time this has happened. This area, with some of the $$$ homes in San Diego, really should have never been built on.

I hope my friends' homes are spared in this.

BrownieBites

Bench Warmer
Read that article... picture looks pretty scary. Hopefully everything works out. Makes me wonder. How do you fix something like that?

Seahawklady

Bench Warmer
Read that article... picture looks pretty scary. Hopefully everything works out. Makes me wonder. How do you fix something like that?

Check out the geologist's video, that pretty much explains it. That area should have never been built on in the first place.

There was another slide back in '93, not this bad, but it happens. Another one back in the '60s too. The big clue that this is not a weather related thing... we haven't had a "severe rain" in that area since 2005.

I just hope my friends' homes are gonna be OK after this.

scrappy

Bench Warmer
that's rough possibly losing a place to a natural disaster like that. part of the reason i don't want to live up the mountain cause i know what is there now might not be in a few yrs. but we have lots of trees here and not a lot of mudded areas

sometimes mother nature can be unforgiving

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
saw it on my news this morning...didnt they have a bunch of slides a few years back on the coast that had several multimillion dollar houses become no longer?

Seahawklady

Bench Warmer
saw it on my news this morning...didnt they have a bunch of slides a few years back on the coast that had several multimillion dollar houses become no longer?

Hmm, not ringing a bell. I do remember some farther up the coast... Malibu?

This area is not really on the coast anyway. It's on the other side of La Jolla from the beach areas.

Update, I talked to Bill and his wife today, and their house is OK. They just let them back in this morning. Haven't heard from the bird lady, (she doesn't have an answering machine) but according to what I've read and heard, the slide didn't go down that far, so that's good news. That area is gonna be a mess for a while to come tho. Soledad Mountain Road a major throrofare for that part of the city, and really the only way to detour around it is to go through windy little neighborhood streets.