Kurt Busch - Where's the public outcry?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Watched ESPN's "First Take" with Stephen A. Smith and was quite surprised at his stance on the Kurt Busch issue. The following was taken from the sportingnews.com site.
On ESPN's First Take, Stephen A. Smith went in on the recent allegations involving Busch. The analyst mentions there is something missing from the whole situation. There aren't groups of people talking about Busch ad nauseam to the point where everyone is sick of it.

"Kurt Busch gets cited for domestic violence by a judge. Ok yes, he gets suspended by NASCAR, we appreciate that. Where's the public outcry? Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, (Ray) McDonald in San Francisco even though that case was ultimately dropped, Adrian Peterson with child abuse. Kurt Busch has this happen to him, NASCAR takes the position they take, but where's the public outcry?"

Smith goes on to mention perhaps NASCAR isn't as popular as the NFL, but in some parts of the country, people would beg to differ. Regardless of how popular or unpopular the sport is, Smith reiterates there should be the same amount of public uproar for each athlete involved in this kind of situation.

I usually do not side with Stephen A. but this time around I think he has made a great point.

I am glad to see NASCAR take the position they have on the allegations, as there is proof positive, but it makes one wonder why NASCAR is so fast to "judge" while the other sports sit back and wait, no matter how much "evidence" is presented.

I don't think it has to do with the sport's popularity...but the sport itself. As terrible as it sounds, the last few years a lot of NASCAR publicity has come from public violet outbursts from it's drivers. There always seems to be a post race scuffle these days...at least that's how the medial portrays it. Heck...one of the most famous NASCAR moments ever is the 1979 fight between Alison and Yarborough.

To a certain degree...violence outside of the sport itself is ingrained in NASCAR and I think that might play apart into the lack of outcry. On top of that, domestic violence is sorta "old news" when it comes to sports these days. It's not right, but that seems to be how it is.

Back