Kobe to Italy?

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
BEIJING – If Italy comes knocking with big money next summer, the NBA could lose its biggest star in Kobe Bryant.

When asked by The Boston Globe about a report that LeBron James would strongly consider playing in Europe for $50 million for one season when he becomes a free agent in two years, Bryant said he would take a similar deal by a pro team in Italy if offered when he becomes a free agent next summer. Such would be a devestating loss for the NBA since the Los Angeles Lakers star was the NBA’s Most Valuable Player last season and considered its most popular player. The Associated Press originally reported that Bryant could have interest in playing professionally in Europe.

“I’d go. I’d probably go,” said Bryant, during a USA Basketball press conference on Friday morning. “Like Milan or something like that, where I grew up or something like that… Peace out.”

Bryant continued: “Do you know any reasonable person that would turn down 50 (million dollars)?”

Bryant spent a large part of his childhood growing up in Italy while his father, Joe, played professional basketball there and speaks fluent Italian. In 1999, the 10-time NBA All-Star also acquired a 50 percent ownership of the Olimpia Milano of the Italian Professional Basketball League.

“Because I grew up in Italy it has more significance to me because I’m more familiar with it, I’ve been there and I still have friends there,” said Bryant, a three-time NBA champion. “I’m thinking about buying a house out there. It would be nothing to me to be able to do that.”

ESPN.com reported that a person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year." ESPN also reported that Russia CSKA Moscow and Greece Olympiacos have already contacted James, but nothing has been discussed monetarily. Considering the Euro versus the American dollar and that European teams have no salary cap, a contract paying $50 million American wouldn’t be out the realm of possibility.

I doubt that Kobe or Lebron would ever consider it really. They would lose quite a bit in US endorsements. I see the more likely situation being that in the next 10 years their will be a truly global sport. The NBA will in my mind have a team in Spain, China, Germany, and Italy within the next 10 years. When that happens, some of these guys may move.

Kobe or Lebron could do a deal similar to David Beckham's deal with Galaxy where they share in the profits of jersey sales etc

USA isn't known for money in soccer but they still managed to lure a big star away from Europe.
Kobe/Lebron could have new endorsement deals with kickbacks that would make them MORE money than they are getting in USA.

You never know with pro sports these days :)

T dawg, the NBA would fail as a league if they lost players like Kobe and Lebron. If 1 of them jumps, they are in trouble. They have already announced that they would be looking at teams overseas in the next 10 years. So I full expect that to happen.

Every big star is going to make that move. Globally, these stars can me 10x the money they make in the USA.

As the clubs in Europe get larger and the fan base keeps growing, it will become just as competitive as the NBA. It gains a larger fan base by wooing these super starts from the NBA. It starts with a few then out of nowhere everyone wants to go over.

Some people say why leave with the endorsements you get the USA? The large endorsement deals come from global companies. They pay the big bucks. The larger your demo / geography, the more money you make.

I think youll see many players leaving the league. Eventually youll see inter league play. Frankly its great for the sport. Nothing like adding more competition.

The NBA won't let it happen. Watch, if one of these guys go overseas, that team will be an NBA team almost immediately. They want to expand globally and they are gonig to do it. If transportation was faster and less expensive (imagine flying them from one side of the world to another 20+ times a year) they would have already done it. I just read an article about the NBA looking into India. They are the only league that seems to be getting the big picture. The future of sports is world wide leagues.

Admin said:
The NBA won't let it happen. Watch, if one of these guys go overseas, that team will be an NBA team almost immediately. They want to expand globally and they are gonig to do it. If transportation was faster and less expensive (imagine flying them from one side of the world to another 20+ times a year) they would have already done it. I just read an article about the NBA looking into India. They are the only league that seems to be getting the big picture. The future of sports is world wide leagues.

THEN there can be TRUE WORLD CHAMPIONS! not just NBA CHAMPS

skatemore said:
If kobe goes to Italy then like will he have cards that still come out but it will just have him as being on said Italy team?

it's NOT going to happen, but NO UPPER DECK and TOPPS have licenses with NBA Players Association so they would have to get a contract with the Italian league or whover in order to produce cards of Kobe lol but again

it's NOT gonna happen LOL

Alright I was just curious.

As for my 2 cents I also realize that this shouldnt and pretty much surely couldnt happen. If the NBA lost Kobe then they would begin to lose all of their big time players. I think that we will see in the near future a global basketball league where there is a true WORLD champion.

Back