Kevin Garnett to Boston

DNoz29

Bench Warmer
According to a Celtic official.

To BOS: Kevin Garnett
To MIN: Al Jefferson, Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, two first-round picks

Not sure if any other pieces are involved.

Boston = NBA Finals

Kind of makes up for not getting Oden or Durant.

Wow, they are giving up alot!

You have to be crazy. The team is 100x better off with Garnett and without those guys than it is with the current guys. Al Jefferson is painfully overrated and will never be the franchise player people think he will be. In reality, it is draft picks and 2 young guys. I personally think it is a great deal for Boston, especially considering that after the horrible job Ainge has done, the team needs to win now.

And when they underachieve, everyone will finally realize Doc Rivers is a horrible coach :cheers::cheers:

You have to be crazy. The team is 100x better off with Garnett and without those guys than it is with the current guys. Al Jefferson is painfully overrated and will never be the franchise player people think he will be. In reality, it is draft picks and 2 young guys. I personally think it is a great deal for Boston, especially considering that after the horrible job Ainge has done, the team needs to win now.

And when they underachieve, everyone will finally realize Doc Rivers is a horrible coach :cheers::cheers:

Im pretty sure Im not crazy. 6 first round picks (granted one is not far from retiring and one hasnt amounted to much) for a 31 year old who, unless his contract is extended, probably wont be on the team in 2 years. Great deal!

Good for MN. They should get rid of all their "talent" and fold up shop. I guarentee you'll never see a title in the next 30 years in MN. Guarenteed.

Im pretty sure Im not crazy. 6 first round picks (granted one is not far from retiring and one hasnt amounted to much) for a 31 year old who, unless his contract is extended, probably wont be on the team in 2 years. Great deal!

It's ridiculous to asses a trade's value based on where all the players were drafted. Would you trade Ryan Leaf for Peyton Manning because they were both first rounders?

Telfair and Ratliff had no spot on this team and were not a part of the future. Jefferson's value could not be higher, and Green's is quite high as well. The Celtics couldn't afford to wait for one of those two to become a franchise player. You wait until 2008 (at earliest) for Green or Jefferson to become a legitimate star and Pierce becomes 32 years old and Ray Allen becomes close to 35 years old. So best case scenario, you have 2 aging (if not retired) ex-superstars playing with 2 young guys who have become pretty good. You can go that route, or trade those young guys for another superstar so the three of them can dominate when they are still able to do so.

And the draft picks...2 is a little steep, but it's the price of getting better. Plus, those 2 draft picks would probably be just outside the lottery, where it's tough to get another impact player.

It's ridiculous to asses a trade's value based on where all the players were drafted. Would you trade Ryan Leaf for Peyton Manning because they were both first rounders?

Telfair and Ratliff had no spot on this team and were not a part of the future. Jefferson's value could not be higher, and Green's is quite high as well. The Celtics couldn't afford to wait for one of those two to become a franchise player. You wait until 2008 (at earliest) for Green or Jefferson to become a legitimate star and Pierce becomes 32 years old and Ray Allen becomes close to 35 years old. So best case scenario, you have 2 aging (if not retired) ex-superstars playing with 2 young guys who have become pretty good. You can go that route, or trade those young guys for another superstar so the three of them can dominate when they are still able to do so.

And the draft picks...2 is a little steep, but it's the price of getting better. Plus, those 2 draft picks would probably be just outside the lottery, where it's tough to get another impact player.

So if or when the Celtics fail once again, they traded their future away for nothing. If Garnett leaves after 2 years, assuming the second year option is picked up, what do they have to show for it? I would hope they win now because if they dont, it could backfire big time on them, and they would be rebuilding once again.

Where'd ya hear that it was the 2 first draft picks as well?

I just heard the 4 players for KG. Plus, KG probably won't sign an extension for the Celtics unless they do something this year.

So if or when the Celtics fail once again, they traded their future away for nothing. If Garnett leaves after 2 years, assuming the second year option is picked up, what do they have to show for it? I would hope they win now because if they dont, it could backfire big time on them, and they would be rebuilding once again.

I think they realize they have a MUCH better shot to win a title with KG, Pierce and Allen right now than they would waiting for Jefferson and Green to develop. If we held on to them, we'd be continually rebuilding for a few years anyway.

And again, this is Boston, it's a Win Now city. They can't afford to rebuild and continue to suck for the next 3-4 years.

Where'd ya hear that it was the 2 first draft picks as well?

I just heard the 4 players for KG. Plus, KG probably won't sign an extension for the Celtics unless they do something this year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2954127

"Multiple sources said the deal includes two assets Timberwolves vice president Kevin McHale has coveted: Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff's expiring contract.

It's believed that the tentative agreement also calls for the Celtics to also ship youngsters Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and Ryan Gomes to Minnesota, along with a future first-round draft pick and the return of a first-rounder that the Wolves surrendered in the Wally Szczerbiak-Ricky Davis trade in January 2006."

For you non-Minnesotan's:

Minnesota gets:

Sebastian Telfair, PG
Al Jefferson, PF
Theo Ratliff, PF/C
Gerald Green, SG/SF
Ryan Gomes, PF
Boston's 2009 1st Round Draft Pick
Minnesota's 2009 1st Round Draft Pick (the one they sent to Boston in the Szcerbiak trade)

Boston gets:

Kevin "Big Ticket" (thank you Trent Tucker) Garnett

:boohoo: to McHale. He should be fired, just because he's awful. Could've gotten Deng, Tyson Chandler & the #2 pick in the winter of '05-'06, but balked. Fool. :drunk:

For all the haters, Garnett got extended for 3 extra years. I hate Danny Ainge with a passion, but fantastic trade :salut::salut:

Back