Just Finished a Major Football Card Project!!!

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
So, a couple weeks back...I completed a major card project I had been working on for several years. It is a very sentimental project that started out as a dream when I was a child and was ultimately completed as a young adult.

Before I get too far into the project, I thought I would tell you the story as to why this set was sentimental.

When I was in the 4th and 5th (1994 and 1995), my school mates and I played flag football on our school team. A few days each week, we would walk down to the park a few blocks away where we would have practice led by a couple volunteer parents. I think school ended around 2:40 and practice ran 3:30-5:00 or something like that.

Anyway, we always had a few minutes to kill...so many of us would stop at the local convenience store on the way and spend a couple dollars. Normally, we would buy a pack of cards and a couple "Laffy Taffys" as a snack. We'd then head to the park, open our packs, and trade.

The little convenience store was very limited as to the cards they had...they normally had Upper Deck and the newer Upper Deck Collector's Choice product. We normally bought Collector's Choice (UDCC) because it was less expensive. I remember both years...they had boxes of 1994 UDCC football cards for sale.

So, we'd open our packs. I seem to remember a pack contained about a dozen cards...including one parallel card. The 384 base set had two parallel sets, silver and gold. The silver cards were 1 per pack but the golds were 1 per 35 packs (instead of a silver). As you can imagine, we treasured the golds on the rare occasion one appeared, I don't remember anyone ever trading one of those. The silver and gold cards differed from the base only by having the team name printed in foil print on the front of the card in either silver or gold (many of the golds also have a gold boarder).

Today, this set is virtually worthless...but those memories are priceless. At the time, I tried to assemble a base set, but never completed it. I dreamed of a complete gold set, but having only ever seen a couple gold cards...such a thought was nothing more than a pipe dream. It just couldn't be done no matter how bad I wanted one.

Fast-forward a couple decades. I returned to the hobby a few years back and thought a 1994 UDCC gold set might be a fun project...and now with the internet, it might be obtainable. I knew it would be hard, the set wasn't popular and those golds are somewhat scare...plus a complete set contains 384 cards! But, I decided to go for it anyway.

A few weeks back, I completed it. It took about 4 years and a lot more money than I expected, but it is finally complete. I just finished scanning the whole set, it's raw and in a binder. I thought it would be fun to share it with the group...but the set is 43 pages. Rather than posting the whole set at once, I will post one page to this thread per day. That will minimize the image overload and be a little more fun I think.

So, today is page 1. The set starts with the rookie subset. Here are the players on page 1:

#1: Antonio Langham RC (9th overall pick)
#2: Aaron Glenn RC (12th overall pick)
#3: Sam Adams RC (8th overall pick)
#4: DeWayne Washington RC (18th overall pick)
#5: Dan Wilkinson RC (1st overall pick)
#6: Bryant Young RC (7th overall pick)
#7: Aaron Taylor RC (16th overall pick)
#8: Willie McGinest RC (4th overall pick)
#9 Trev Alberts RC (5th overall pick)

Here is page 1:

Awesome collection. Do sets like that have a key card, or were they always printed in equal numbers?

Awesome collection. Do sets like that have a key card, or were they always printed in equal numbers?
It depends...some sets have short prints, it just depends on how many cards were printed per set, how many sheets were printed and how many cards were on a sheet. For example, the 1965 Topps football set were the "tall boy cards" and because of the irregular size, many cards were printed in less numbers...including the Namath rookie.

On the flip side, sometimes you get cards that were double printed for the same reason. A classic example of his is one of the Babe Ruth cards in the 1933 Goudey set. Because there was no #106 in that set...they printed Babe Ruth's card twice on that sheet. So, for every set they printed...that Ruth card was printed twice.

This set was all printed in the same number as far as I know. But, due to his popularity and greatness...the Marshall Faulk rookie is considered the key card in this set. I think I paid close to $50 for it.

Heres page 2:

#10: Jamir Miller RC (10th overall pick)
#11: John Thierry RC (11th overall pick)
#12: Health Shuler RC (3rd overall pick)
#13: Trent Dilfer RC (6th overall pick)
#14: Marshall Faulk RC (2nd overall pick) - Key Card in the Set
#15: Greg Hill RC (25th overall pick)
#16: William Floyd RC (28th overall pick)
#17: Chuck Levy RC (38th overall pick)
#18: Charlie Gardner RC (42nd overall pick)

Last edited:
Here's page 3:

#19: Mario Bates RC (44th overall pick)
#20: Donnell Bennett RC (58th overall pick)
#21: LeShon Johnson RC (84th overall pick)
#22: Calvin Jones RC (80th overall pick)
#23: Darnay Scott RC (30th overall pick)
#24: Charles Johnson RC (17th overall pick)
#25: Johnnie Morton RC (21st overall pick)
#26: Shante Carver RC (23rd overall pick)
#27: Derrick Alexander RC (29th overall pick)

That looks like a nice collection. How long did it take you to build it up? Football cards is not something I have seen collected very much but may be something I am interested in collecting.

That looks like a nice collection. How long did it take you to build it up? Football cards is not something I have seen collected very much but may be something I am interested in collecting.
This set took the better part of 4 years to assemble. A base set can be bought on eBay complete for very cheap and all the silvers could be piecemealed together in a matter of days. But, the gold parallels were 1 per box...so they are quite hard to assemble. It's not hard to find a few...but as the set starts to get complete, those last few seem impossible to find. This especially true of the commons.

Happy Easter, here is page 4

On page 4, the rookie subset ends and the second subset begins. The second subset is called "Images of 93" (I93) and it highlights key players of specific dramatic or critical games during the 1993 season.

#28: David Palmer RC (40th overall pick)
#29: Ryan Yarborough RC (41st overall pick)
#30: Errict Rhett RC (34th overall pick)
#31: James Washington I93
#32: Sterling Sharpe I93
#33: Drew Bledsoe I93
#34: Eric Allen I93
#35: Jerome Bettis I93
#36: Joe Montana I93

OK, here's page 5. Page 5 concludes the "Images of 93" subset.

#37: John Carney I93
#38: Emmitt Smith I93
#39: Chris Warren I93
#40: Reggie Brooks I93
#41: Gary Brown I93
#42: Tim Brown I93
#43: Erric Pegram I93
#44: Ron Moore I93
#45: Jerry Rice I93

Page 6 starts the final subset of this set. This subset is called "Traditions of Excellence" (TE) and highlights both young players who have had a promising season or two and players who have had long successful careers. This is one of my favorite parts of this set as it illustrates the high expectations in players who didn't pan out. I think it shows an interesting history there. For example, one of the players is 1993 UPI AFC ROY Rick Mirer. At the time, he was expected to be the savior of the franchise...but we all know that didn't happen.

Here's page 6:

#46: Ricky Watters TE
#47: Joe Montana TE
#48: Reggie Brooks TE
#49: Rick Mirer TE
#50: Raghib Ismail TE
#51: Curtis Conway TE
#52: Junior Seau TE
#53: Mark Carrier TE
#54: Ronnie Lott TE

Page 7 concludes the "Traditions of Excellence" subset and begins the base card section of the set.

#55: Marcus Allen TE
#56: Michael Irvin TE
#57: Bennie Blades TE
#58: Randal Hill TE
#59: Brian Blades TE
#60: Russell Maryland TE
#61: Jim Kelly
#62: Arthur Marshall
#63: Webster Slaughter

Here is Page 8:

#64: Dave Krieg
#65: Steve Jordan