It's not me, it's you.

kpit1978

All-Star
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
The flip side to Mechjo16's recent thread about cards that you regret letting go. What did you hold onto even when you should have known better? The first product I bought for myself when I got back into the hobby was some 2007 Bowman Sterling Football. I've got nothing against college football but I've rarely watched it. One of the few games I did watch was the 2007 Sugar Bowl. Needless to say I was quite excited to pull a Gold 02/25 Purple Drank at the time. The old Ebay 1/1 jersey number!

20230207_091619.jpg

I kept a ton of commons over the years and when I started collecting seriously about 12 years ago I found out right quick that my 88 Topps were worth a FRACTION of what Beckett told me they were worth back in the day!! Talk aboit a rude awakening! No one wanted my 87 O-Pee-Chee either!!

I think a lot of us probably have too many of these kinds of cards, where we didn't want to let go of a rookie card only to watch the value go down the crapper. LOL. I have too many to even list of those. To me that is part of the problem with the hobby anymore, too much overhype and over investing in guys who haven't done anything, while superstar/HOF cards don't get any love or respect.

I agree about the base, it is not really worth keeping, better off burning in a wood stove or fireplace. I think the last ones I sold were at less than a penny a piece and the monster boxes I put them in cost me a few $s each, so not really worth it.

I think a lot of us probably have too many of these kinds of cards, where we didn't want to let go of a rookie card only to watch the value go down the crapper. LOL. I have too many to even list of those. To me that is part of the problem with the hobby anymore, too much overhype and over investing in guys who haven't done anything, while superstar/HOF cards don't get any love or respect.

I agree about the base, it is not really worth keeping, better off burning in a wood stove or fireplace. I think the last ones I sold were at less than a penny a piece and the monster boxes I put them in cost me a few $s each, so not really worth it.
We all know the RC's are where the money is at but as you pointed out it boggles my mind that if Mike pulls me a Adley Rutschman auto it'll probably be worth more than the Ripken/Murray he pulled me last month...I know which of the two I'd rather have in my PC.

Reviving this a bit...

I've got two that stick out... both why I don't like to chase prospects

1) Rymer Liriano 2011 Bowman Chrome Refractor Autograph /500. Pulled him, and held onto it thinking he was going to be the next big thing in San Diego... At peak that card was $100 and selling for near that, and had offers I wish I had taken... now, it's a dollar bin card and I ended up flipping it to Jsneeze50 in a large trade for pennies.

2) Another Rookie, Matt LaPorta... 2008 Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor Auto... If you don't know Matt, it's probably because you didn't collect in 2008. If you did, you'll likely remember the trade in 2009 that sent him to Cleveland for C.C. from Milwaukee. He was the Hype Prospect everyone had to have besides Moustakas in 2008. LaPorta's limelight shined and as quickly as he shined, he flamed out even quicker in Cleveland. One of my worst trades to remember, as I dealt a few HOF Autographs for it... And now, it's sitting in a box in my closest as a reminder to why I don't prospect non-Oriole players. lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_LaPorta
--- and then I just found out he finished his career in Baltimore... yikes! no wonder why I wanted it... bahahaha

Reviving this a bit...

I've got two that stick out... both why I don't like to chase prospects

1) Rymer Liriano 2011 Bowman Chrome Refractor Autograph /500. Pulled him, and held onto it thinking he was going to be the next big thing in San Diego... At peak that card was $100 and selling for near that, and had offers I wish I had taken... now, it's a dollar bin card and I ended up flipping it to Jsneeze50 in a large trade for pennies.

2) Another Rookie, Matt LaPorta... 2008 Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor Auto... If you don't know Matt, it's probably because you didn't collect in 2008. If you did, you'll likely remember the trade in 2009 that sent him to Cleveland for C.C. from Milwaukee. He was the Hype Prospect everyone had to have besides Moustakas in 2008. LaPorta's limelight shined and as quickly as he shined, he flamed out even quicker in Cleveland. One of my worst trades to remember, as I dealt a few HOF Autographs for it... And now, it's sitting in a box in my closest as a reminder to why I don't prospect non-Oriole players. lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_LaPorta
--- and then I just found out he finished his career in Baltimore... yikes! no wonder why I wanted it... bahahaha
This is why I don't like collecting prospects and why I have stopped collecting a lot of the hobby, that and the fact it was just too much money. Used to do football, but it became the chase of the next big rookie game and basically the lottery the hobby is now. I probably have dozens of cards like that sitting around in boxes, that I wish I would have sold, but kept hoping in a few years it would be worth hanging onto. LOL. :)

Back