Interesting terminology by Dabo

Brad

Bench Warmer
http://tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=7780

CLEMSON – The system of Ones and Twos and Threes as relates to the depth chart no longer exists on the Clemson University football team.

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said that the players instead will be referred to as Attack, Swarm and Pride, which was just part of the new terminology he has instituted on the first day of spring drills.

“What a great day to get started,” Swinney said after the Tigers ran through their first practice. “We got a lot done, and I am very pleased, but we have a long way to do. But I was very pleased with the tempo right off the bat. We have gotten better at creating competition out there.

“We don’t have ones, twos and threes around here anymore. We have to attack defense, the swarm defense and the pride defense. We have the orange offense, the purple offense and the pride offense. You tell a guy he is a two or three long enough, he begins to believe that is all he is. We won’t use those terms around here anymore.”

Swinney said he was pleased with all three quarterbacks for the first day.

“They looked good – I was pleased with all three of them,” Swinney said. “All three of those guys did a good job in spots, and all of them did a poor job in spots. But all in all, it was a good first day.”

Swinney said that evaluation for the quarterbacks will come down to more than just throwing the football as the spring progresses.

“It will be game operation, their command, how they go about leading the unit,” Swinney said. “Throwing, catching, timing, the exchange, there is a lot you can evaluate on days like this. Korn threw the ball well, I thought. He has got to continue to work on his accuracy, and all of them do. But his velocity looked much better today than it did in bowl practice.”

Not sure what to make of it. Interesting way to do it instead of first, second, third, and scout teams.

Nice to see that Coach Swinney doesn't want to hurt anyone's precious feelings ;)

He can call the players whatever he wants, but if they aren't playing then they will get the hint that they are 3rd string. But hey, cake, ice cream, and punch for everyone after the game :cheers:

Well, Swinney has ripped up the depth chart and it is an open competition for every position, he says. I am sure CJ and some guys are not too worried about PT, but we do have a "three way" battle for QB that will be a four way when Summer rolls around and Tajh Boyd can play. One of the guys, Michael Wade, is a long shot to say the least, but I like the thought of an open competition. Tommy never spoke much of competition and the only one that happened was between Cullen and Willy Korn in 2007, but it was Cullen's job to lose.

Well, Swinney has ripped up the depth chart and it is an open competition for every position, he says. I am sure CJ and some guys are not too worried about PT, but we do have a "three way" battle for QB that will be a four way when Summer rolls around and Tajh Boyd can play. One of the guys, Michael Wade, is a long shot to say the least, but I like the thought of an open competition. Tommy never spoke much of competition and the only one that happened was between Cullen and Willy Korn in 2007, but it was Cullen's job to lose.

Good move to destroy the depth chart and let it be wide open. Competition can make a team so much better. Shula never ever considered changing his depth chart at any time in his entire tenure at Alabama unless a player left. Drove me crazy.....

I hope the competition makes the team better. We got a lot of highly recruited kids and if this pushes them more, than that is good. Tommy had it where you move up if the person in front of you leaves. You would hear about a guy having a monster spring, but still be the number 6 WR and just think, I guess it was not that impressive.

Back