Interesting article in the local paper

The attempted takeover by UD actually has implications that may affect all businesses, regardless of what the industry, on the issue of how much knowledge shareholders are entitled to.

Madison Dearborn made the offer of 8.75 or 9.75 per share, whatever it was. When Upper Deck got wind of the offer, they approached Topps, unsolicited, and offered 10.75 per share, but before doing so, wanted access to Topps' books (a pretty standard practice in acquisitions). Topps would only do so if Upper Deck signed an agreement that they would not disclose any information in the books to the public and that they would not go public with the offer. Topps balked on the Upper Deck deal and put only the Madison Dearborn offer to a vote of the shareholders. When some angry shareholders and Madison Dearborn took it to the courts, the court held that by holding Upper Deck to this agreement, Topps breached its fiduciary duty to its shareholders, and Upper Deck was thus allowed out of the agreement.

All that may not be interesting to anyone but me, but I just found it interesting that Topps and Upper Deck made this agreement which is commonplace in such transactions, and the courts held that shareholder rights trump any such agreement. Certainly gives such agreements much less force.

The attempted takeover by UD actually has implications that may affect all businesses, regardless of what the industry, on the issue of how much knowledge shareholders are entitled to.

Madison Dearborn made the offer of 8.75 or 9.75 per share, whatever it was. When Upper Deck got wind of the offer, they approached Topps, unsolicited, and offered 10.75 per share, but before doing so, wanted access to Topps' books (a pretty standard practice in acquisitions). Topps would only do so if Upper Deck signed an agreement that they would not disclose any information in the books to the public and that they would not go public with the offer. Topps balked on the Upper Deck deal and put only the Madison Dearborn offer to a vote of the shareholders. When some angry shareholders and Madison Dearborn took it to the courts, the court held that by holding Upper Deck to this agreement, Topps breached its fiduciary duty to its shareholders, and Upper Deck was thus allowed out of the agreement.

All that may not be interesting to anyone but me, but I just found it interesting that Topps and Upper Deck made this agreement which is commonplace in such transactions, and the courts held that shareholder rights trump any such agreement. Certainly gives such agreements much less force.

I must be missing something. The agreement was about not disclosing what is in Topps books? What does that have to do with not accepting their higher offer?

I must be missing something. The agreement was about not disclosing what is in Topps books? What does that have to do with not accepting their higher offer?

Also part of the agreement was that Upper Deck wouldn't make their offer known to the public (along with other concessions such as agreeing not to attempt a hostile takeover). Topps, despite Upper Deck's offer being higher, decided to stop negotiations with Upper Deck and put the Madison Dearborn offer to a shareholder vote. That obviously upset both Upper Deck and a handful of shareholders who had gotten wind of Upper Deck's offer.

Interesting... corporate skull-duggery :rambo:

I'll admit that I don't really understand the business end of that, but as a collector, I'm kinda glad that UD is not going to take over Topps. I'd like to think they were actually thinking of the consumers, but I'm probably deluding myself :lollol:

Back