If You Could Only Own 1 Card...

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
If you could only one 1 card...what card would it be? I'm not talking about value...you can't get a T206 Honus Wagner and then sell it and buy lots of cards. You can only own one. If that was the case, what card would you choose?

For me, it's a simple choice. My favorite card, since the day I started collecting as a small child, is the 1981 Topps #216 Joe Montana rookie. As a very young kid, Montana was my favorite football player and I tried to watch him whenever he was on TV. Unfortunately for me, he retired when I was 9...so I didn't get to watch him play that much live.

Outside of him being my favorite athlete by far...and someone I really admired as a child, I find the card to have a very classic esthetically pleasing look. I know the 1981 Topps set is right in the middle of that "boring design" card run for Topps football (that ran from 1973-1983 IMHO)...but it has a wonderful classic photo on the front and it just screams classic vintage American football to me.

For my birthday on year...I think I was 10 or 11, I was given a Montana RC. My parents bought me one. It's not a perfect example, the color is a bit faded and the corners are soft...but it is my Montana RC. At some point, I'd like to pick up a nice graded example (maybe a PSA 8 or 9) but I'm in no rush.

For me, probably the card that was given to me by a group of friends on the spawn.com message board (Mcfarlane Sports Figures). A group of 15, or so guys all pitched in to buy me a Dale Earnhardt autograph, as a surprise gift. They all knew I wanted one, and after his death they became unreachable for me price wise. needless to say I was floored by their generosity, and something I will always keep in my collection.

The one card that I've always wanted is a 1963 Topps Pete Rose rookie card. As a die hard Reds fan, Pete Rose has been and always will be one of my favorite players (who I personally believe should be in the Hall of Fame, but that's an argument for another day). I always thought that the card looked unique in its own right, with the four different players on the bright yellow background.

Back