Racing Humpy Wheeler - "NASCAR left it's fans behind"

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
wbtv.com, Charlotte NC, posted up a video of a "rant" by Humpy Wheeler.

One of the most recognizable names in NASCAR says the sport is all messed up and in the need of changes and a serious boost.

In a video posted on YouTube on Sunday, "Humpy" Wheeler says racing has gotten "too fancy" and left its fans behind.

Wheeler is the former President and General Manager of the Lowes Motor Speedway, in Concord, and is known as one of the foremost promoters in NASCAR history.

Excerpts of the interview:

"We need to change the point situation. You don't buy tickets to see a points race, you buy a ticket to see the race."

He says drivers have become so concerned about earning points at the end of the race that they don't race with their full hearts and competition.

"We need to put the emphasis on winning. And we need to put the emphasis on leading and passing people as the race progresses. Give points for the repass [...] People in the grandstand are gonna go crazy when we do that."

He suggests that NASCAR give winners and leaders bigger bonuses. He says that will make races more exciting and that will bring fans back to the track. He says increases in the quality of TV broadcasting has hurt in-person attendance.

"You've got to give them a reason to come back to the ballpark - whether the ballpark is a racetrack or whether it's stadium. Gotta give them a reason to come back. Part of that reason is excitement. That's the whole reason!"

I've been complaining about the point system even before we went to the current Cup Chase system. Give bigger points for winning! You lead the most laps... give 'em bigger points! I'm not sure I agree with giving points for a pass or repass... and a guy that leads one or two laps shouldn't be given bigger points.

... and I couldn't agree more with this statement: "...drivers have become so concerned about earning points at the end of the race that they don't race with their full hearts and competition."

Take a look at the current Top Ten in points. How many NON-winners are there that week after week finish in the Top Ten, but never force their cars to the front and challenge for the win.

Thanks for posting this. Will have to get this out to some of my friends. 'Bout time someone with some pull spoke up about what all the fans have been saying for years now. Yeah, in that way, he's right. They have left the fans behind because they just ignore them and are getting too fancy. Hmm.

Back