How can you rank Florida State Number Two?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
How can Florida State be ranked number two (or even number one as in previous weeks) when their schedule consists of two (2) OPEN dates and they end up playing teams that are not even ranked.. i.e., The Citadel (2-5), Wake Forest (2-5), NC State (4-4), Wake Forest (2-5), Syracuse (3-4), with the following teams remaining on their schedule: Virginia (4-3), Miami (5-3), Boston College (4-3) and Florida (3-3).

Yes, they won against Notre Dame, on a call described by most sports shows and the media as a good call that SHOULD NOT have been made in that instance.. but this is NOT about that. (My thoughts: when the referees take the game out of the hands of the players, there is a problem.)

So, with a 14 week "regular" season, prior to the ACC playoffs, in it's first nine games Florida State has had two weeks off, played four teams with losing records and one team with a .500 record.

Again, I have to ask... How can Florida State be ranked number two?

Awwww... I know... I am going to hear the stories about "strength of the schedule", but you lose that argument. What strength?

I agree, it's not really fair. However, I have always believed (right or wrong) that if you are the defending champ you should get the benefit of the doubt until someone beats you. If they go undefeated, they deserve a spot in the top 4 and the playoff. I don't think they will last long in the playoff though.

There is a possibility that a team with a two lost record could make the final four, while a team like Marshall (who? lol) can go undefeated and NEVER make it into the Top 15.

There is a possibility that a team with a two lost record could make the final four, while a team like Marshall (who? lol) can go undefeated and NEVER make it into the Top 15.
That is true...but that two loss team is probably a vastly superior team that played a much harder schedule. The way these lower conference teams are going to make the playoff is continued success over a long period of time. Boise State (as much as I dislike them) did that...as did Utah prior to joining the Pac-12.

The last thing we want is an undefeated middle of the road team making the playoff simply because they went 12-0 playing a bunch if high schools. That is exactly what Hawaii did in 2007...and they got embarrassed in the Sugar Bowl.

Back