HOUSTON, WE HAVE A WINNER! Contest is over, northicehero99 wins the Thanksgiving NASA Contest!

kclj520

If He Can Hold The World, He Can Hold This Moment
Staff member
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
Hey all,

I have a lifelong love of NASA and all things space! So, in thanks for everything this year, I am posting thIs card signed and inscribed by Jack Lousma, who would have been on the Apollo 20 crew if the mission had not been cancelled. He flew on Skylab II in 1973 and on Shuttle Mission STS 3 in 1982.
20221024_192907.jpg
Guess a number between 1 and 30, one guess per member per day.... contest ends on Thanksgiving!! Feel free to share a favorite space related memory with your guess too!

God bless,

Kevin

Numbers taken: 6, 16,

One of my most memorable moments was the Challenger disaster on January 28th, 1986, which I was watching in real time. I remember seeing the explosion and the smoke, and then hearing "obviously a major malfunction" and not knowing what that meant exactly, but knowing it was not good.

President Reagan postponed the State of the Union and gave a poignant address that evening to the Nation....

Numbers taken: 6, 13, 16, 28,

The Apollo era always fascinated me, and the frequent Shuttle launches as a child really solidified my love of space!

Jack Lousma was selected in Astronaut Group 5 in 1966, and was the Capsule Communications Officer (CAPCOM) for Apollo 13, receiving the message "Houston, we've had a problem."

He later flew on Skylab II:

and received an ultimate honor when he was inducted into the Astronaut Hall of Fame in 1997.

Numbers taken: 3, 6, 7, 9, 13, 16, 28

Some of my favorite photos from the Saturn V rocket (then, and I think still to this day, the most powerful machine ever built) that brought Apollo astronauts to the Moon in the late 60s and early 70s:

115_apollo8_launch_1200.jpgApollo_11_launch.jpg

And a few awesome Shuttle launch photos:
m2238_1s_Space-shuttle-night-launch-photographic-wall-mural-To-Infinity_Mural-Pattern.jpgnasa-space-shuttle-launch-at-night-perry-m.jpgword-image-708.jpeg

Back