Hidden Gems, I may of found one

Krusin

retired hippie
A lot of you guys are younger & haven't had stuff laying around for years like some of us, maybe you'll be passed down some stuff if so check out what you've got before giving it away or trashing it. If you have a story like this please share, I know some would love to hear about it, I would.

I was watching an episode of one of the Pawn shows & a guy brings in a Beatles album. He had a copy of what's known as the Butchers cover of the album "Yesterday & Today", he thought it was a first state copy. There are 3 types of covers for the album I'll explain below -

1st State - Orginal Butchers cover - shows cut up bloody pieces of dolls
2nd State - A pasted Over Cover - Contains a picture of the Beatles around some luggage.
3rd State - Peeled Orginal Cover - An album that had been pasted over but was pulled off at sometime in it's life

I think the values are in order of thier state as they were recalled on orginal release. The ones in the 1st state were either sold or given out before the recall. The Third State albums can be all over the place in value as some were not peeled very well. One way to tell a Third State is to take a small piece of tissue, wet a small spot on the tissue and apply it onto the album, when it drys it should blowaway when blown on, they say it's impossible to remove totally the glue that was used on the paste over covers.

All that said I have a copy of the 2nd State Cover, mine doesn't still have the plastic cover but it's in what I consider nice shape, no stains, the album itself is in excellent shape. I was shocked at what some of these have gone for. Going to have to study some of my other wax. Plans are to take it along with a few others to have a local pro check them out & tell me what I have.

P.S. The guy on the pawn show had a Third State copy, needless to say he was a bit bummed.

Last edited by a moderator:
i watch all that stuff :roll:

they had a guy on there with '5 Pete Rose RCs' and the guys said they were fake because who would have the money for 5 Pete Rose RCs?...they werent even his RC :doh:

yeah, some old records are worth some serious cash in good shape, mostly things that had been recalled, first pressings/editions, and huge acts like Beatles, Elvis, the original Hank Williams

Back