Register or log in to remove this ad.

Got a new laptop yesterday

f8n4tune

Bench Warmer
Vista sucks but it's pretty. Pretty cool I didn't even have to install my DSL disc it just did it by itself with my info. Gonna do wireless in the next month or so as well.

HP Pavillion dv2313cl
AMD Turion 64x2
Mobile Remote
Vista Home
Built In Webcam
Bunch of other stuff i'll never use :)

Not too bad a machine so far , sucks that it wouldn't take my Mcafee though have to use the free Norton that comes with it till I get to Circuit City this weekend.

Any tips or tricks about Vista are welcome.

P

pitnlala

:cheers:

Ask Brett about the Vista. I think I saw another thread where he mentioned he had it.

f8n4tune

Bench Warmer
Cool i'll look for the thread. This thing is pretty light. Vista has all kinds of do dads , gonna take some getting used to. Noticed one thing though it makes this site load slow or else it's just something tonight here.

andy

Collector Planet Original
Cool i'll look for the thread. This thing is pretty light. Vista has all kinds of do dads , gonna take some getting used to. Noticed one thing though it makes this site load slow or else it's just something tonight here.

Not just you :)

My bro just got a laptop too. Vista seems cool (and yet very annoying!!)

Not sure how big of fan you are of McAfee but I use a free AV program. Called Avast.

Zo

Bench Warmer

Are you using IE7? That would definitely make things slow. Also, how much RAM do you have? I think 512 is supposed to be the minimum for Vista. You DO NOT want to the have the minimum recommended RAM for a Windows OS. Minimum just means "it could" run on it, lol. I would shoot for 1-2GB of RAM. Also, I would be sure to check out what ever AV you are running and check for scanning exceptions. Scanning certain files that should not be scanned will hinder performance. Check your startup config and make sure everything that is starting up on boot is something you need. If you don't necessarily need it to autostart, take it out.

f8n4tune

Bench Warmer
Andy - Right now using the free Norton that came with it but I MUCH prefer McAfee this Norton crap is way too confusing sorta like Microsoft/Windows stuff...:)

Zo - Yeah i'm still figuring things out so until then don't want to remove anything just yet.

Yes on the IE and that's till I make sure Firefox will work well(which I prefer as well).

160GB Hard Drive
1.3 Webcam
1024MB DDR2 SDRAM (2Dimm)
5-in-1 Digital Media reader512KB+512KB L2 Cache
HP Quick Play

And yes I HAVE NO CLUE what any of that means but it was cheap($699) and I needed one. My other one weighed about 13 lbs and was about 8 years old......lmao

So I probably didn't buy the right one , but I only need it for cruising the net anyway. One of those impulse purchase type things , had the money and didn't do any research.

Zo

Bench Warmer
Andy - Right now using the free Norton that came with it but I MUCH prefer McAfee this Norton crap is way too confusing sorta like Microsoft/Windows stuff...:)

Zo - Yeah i'm still figuring things out so until then don't want to remove anything just yet.

Yes on the IE and that's till I make sure Firefox will work well(which I prefer as well).

160GB Hard Drive
1.3 Webcam
1024MB DDR2 SDRAM (2Dimm)
5-in-1 Digital Media reader512KB+512KB L2 Cache
HP Quick Play

And yes I HAVE NO CLUE what any of that means but it was cheap($699) and I needed one. My other one weighed about 13 lbs and was about 8 years old......lmao

So I probably didn't buy the right one , but I only need for cruising the net anyway. one of thos impulse purchase type things , had the money and didn't do any research.

Just read somewhere that Vista indexes everything on your computer, so the initial time to index everything may make your computer a little slower. In addition, Norton is known to make things SLOOOOOOOOOOW.....so once you remove that it should speed up. Hopefully...:)

oregonweim

Bench Warmer
I download AVG, and windows has its' own spyware program running (we'll see how well it works). That isn't a bad deal at all Alan for what you got!!

f8n4tune

Bench Warmer
I download AVG, and windows has its' own spyware program running (we'll see how well it works). That isn't a bad deal at all Alan for what you got!!

Thought so too , about a month ago it was over a grand. Got it at Costco and they only had this one and the display($599) and were getting rid of them to bring in newer model stuff is what I was told. The display one was kinda beat up looking and I almost grabbed it instead since i'm a cheapo and they do have a 90 day return policy no questions asked.

But I wanted a new one :)