Baseball GMs head to Chicago for short meeting

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Instead of swaying palm trees, the roar of 747s greeted baseball's general managers as they began gathering for their annual meeting.

They've come to a hotel near O'Hare International Airport to swap stories -- and perhaps players -- and to start discussions with agents.

Increasing the use video replay among umpires could be a topic when the formal meetings start Tuesday, especially after a series of missed calls in the postseason. Video reviews, which began in 2008, are limited to determining whether potential home runs are fair or foul or whether the ball cleared a fence.

"I have been on record as using as much technology as possible for the betterment or our game and to protect the umpires, too," New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Monday.

Cashman is comfortable commissioner Bud Selig will protect the game and "make sure that whatever gets implemented is done in the proper way, and if it gets done slowly over time and we're better for it, so be it."

Just last Wednesday, the Yankees beat the Philadelphia Phillies for their 27th World Series title. Now it's time to move on to next season, though he said he doesn't expect much to happen during the meetings in Chicago.

"Friday was the parade. Saturday and Sunday was quiet time, and today felt like a full day of traveling, even though Chicago is not far," Cashman said. "We'll be in catch-up mode. The last thing you want to do is do something quick. I really want to make sure I take our time, sit down and have our discussions with all personnel. I have my own ideas of what I think would be best."

More deals are expected around the winter meetings, to be held in Indianapolis from Dec. 7-10. Three key Yankees are potential free agents: World Series MVP Hideki Matsui, left fielder Johnny Damon and 37-year-old left-hander Andy Pettitte.

The Yankees' biggest rivals in the AL East, the Boston Red Sox, were busy Monday. They exercised their $7.7 million option on Victor Martinez and declined options on Jason Varitek and Alex Gonzalez -- although Varitek can exercise a $3 million player option.

Boston also agreed to a $5 million, two-year contract with 43-year-old knuckleballer Tim Wakefield.

Since this year's meeting lasts only until midday Wednesday, the general managers may not be able to hold as many discussions as they did during past sessions.

"Surprisingly there have been more conversations throughout the playoffs and the World Series than I can remember," Chicago White Sox general manager Ken Williams said last week after his team acquired third baseman Mark Teahen in a trade with the Kansas City Royals.

"And to be able to do something prior to the general managers' meeting and have substantial talks on major things prior to that is surprising but certainly welcome to me. We've done our groundwork quite some time ago," he said.

The Chicago Cubs have already had a relatively eventful offseason -- some of it not so good.

Tom Ricketts and his family were introduced as the new owners and said they would do everything they could to bring a World Series to the franchise after a 101-year drought.

But the Cubs' pitching staff got a **** one month after the season ended when left-hander Ted Lilly, one of the team's most consistent starters for three years, underwent surgery on his pitching shoulder. Lilly probably won't start throwing for four months and will almost certainly miss the beginning of the season.

Cubs GM Jim Hendry said there were no immediate plans to look for another starter. But he could trade mercurial outfielder Milton Bradley, suspended for the final two weeks of his first season with the Cubs after he criticized the atmosphere surrounding the club.

"Like I said all along, he's on our roster and until he's not on the roster that's how you have to look at it," Hendry said. "A lot of people have had worse exits than that at the end of the year and they returned. The goal will be the best you can to put a good club on the field by spring training. Until people aren't here, then as a GM approach it like they are here."

Bradley is still owed $21 million on the final two years of his deal. Hendry hasn't spoken with Bradley but has talked quite a bit to his agent.

Back