Football Giants safety Phillips has microfracture surgery

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
New York Giants safety Kenny Phillips has had microfracture surgery on his left knee and will have to wait about five months before he can start to run.

"It's one of the longest rehabs; they said it will be four to five months before I can run," Phillips said Thursday at the Giants practice facility. "They said it's real boring; it's like watching paint dry. It's not painful, just long. I definitely want to get back to being 100 percent and get back on the field. I am going to do everything they say I should do."

Phillips, who was placed on injured reserve last week with patellofemoral arthritis, had the surgery on Tuesday. The two-hour procedure was done in Alabama by Dr. James Andrews.

Phillips did some light movement and iced his knee on Thursday.

"I don't even need to be on crutches right now -- I'm not even in pain, nothing hurts," Phillips said. "They gave me pain pills, but I don't need to take them because nothing is bothering me."

The Giants also got some good news on the injury front on Thursday.

Cornerback Kevin Dockery, defensive end Justin Tuck and wide receiver Hakeem Nicks, the first-round draft pick who hurt his left foot in the season opener, participated fully in practice.

Coughlin was impressed with Nicks, who was developing into a deep threat.

"He did pretty much everything," Coughlin said. "There was no limitation on him. He felt good and wanted to do more yesterday and got a chance to do more today."

Dockery, who has not played this season, also looks ready to go.

Tuck, who was on the field for eight plays in the win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday, said he was ready to play.

The biggest setback was with cornerback Aaron Ross, who aggravated a left hamstring injury on Wednesday and he did not practice on Thursday. The injury has sidelined Ross since the middle of training camp.

Halfback Ahmad Bradshaw also did not practice for the second straight day because of injuries to his right foot and ankle. He insisted again Thursday that he would play at Kansas City on Sunday, even though he's worn a boot on the foot the past two days.

"I'm just resting right now," Bradshaw said. "The boot just keeps me from just pounding it, which is the aggravation always to my ankle."

Defensive lineman Chris Canty and running back Danny Ware also missed practice on Thursday.

In other news, Brandon Jacobs had little to say about FOX sideline reporter Tony Siragusa, who said Jacobs was "tiptoeing" instead of running hard this season. Siragusa made the comment during last weekend's game against Tampa Bay, when Jacobs ran for 92 yards in a 24-0 win.

"I feel like I'm running the same way I was running last year," said Jacobs, who has 196 yards on 58 carries, a 3.4-yard average. "Getting a little bit smarter, being patient, let the scheme happen for me. You just can't run in there and think that you can outrun your blocks."

Jacobs scoffed when asked about what the analyst said, noting that the Giants are 3-0. He also said opposing defenses are trying to stop the Giants running game, which led the league last season.

"It is going to come together for me. I am not pushing it, I am not rushing," said Jacobs, who ran for 1,089 yards last season with a 5.0 average. "It is going to start popping open for me. It's a long season."

When pressed about Siragusa, Jacobs refused to say much.

"I don't want to talk about Tony Siragusa," he said. "Not at all. Not worth it."

Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said Jacobs has looked energetic this season.

"If there is an error that is slowing him down, it is because he wants to be perfect," Gilbride said. "He is trying to make the perfect read, if that is it. If there is anything, that would be it, he is just trying so hard to do everything perfectly. Sometimes you just have to trust your instincts and go out and play. But I certainly don't see anybody that is tiptoeing."

Back